Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rottiesrme51 rottiesrme51 is offline

Default read only files

how can I change a read only file so that I can read it? The one I have shows
nothing but squares when I open it . my os is xp pro and I have ms office 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Is this a document of a file type for which you have an appropriate
converter installed?

The read only attribute does not scramble the document, it merely prevents
you from easily saving changes.

There's a macro by Microsoft in the KnowledgeBase that addresses a similar
problem.
..
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290978

If you don't know how to use macro listings, see