Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Philip Philip is offline

Default Multiple Document Interface

I use Office 2007 Home & Student Edition on Windows XP-SP3

Does Word support a multiple document interface within a single window.

If I open a second document then it's opened in another main window, this
makes it it hard to read in conjunction with a previously opened document so
that I am forced to use Desktop tiling feature, which is somewhat primitive,
and I have to minimise 2 windows when I want to put that work aside etc.

I think I had MDI in previous versions of Word, in the Windows menu there
were things like tile, cascade, I dont want to revert to menus and toolbars,
I like ribbons.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Word 2007 supports both MDI and SDI. You can toggle from one to the other at
will by going to Office button Word Options Advanced Display and checking
or unchecking "Show all windows in the Taskbar".

Even when Word is in SDI, you can use the Arrange All and View Side by Side
buttons on the View tab to tile the open documents instead of using the desktop
tiling; however, in that case they'll each have a complete copy of the ribbon
and the status bar. With MDI there's only one ribbon and status bar shared among
the child document windows.

This is also available in Word 2003, where the option "Windows in Taskbar" is in
Tools Options View.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:20:02 -0700, Philip
wrote:

I use Office 2007 Home & Student Edition on Windows XP-SP3

Does Word support a multiple document interface within a single window.

If I open a second document then it's opened in another main window, this
makes it it hard to read in conjunction with a previously opened document so
that I am forced to use Desktop tiling feature, which is somewhat primitive,
and I have to minimise 2 windows when I want to put that work aside etc.

I think I had MDI in previous versions of Word, in the Windows menu there
were things like tile, cascade, I dont want to revert to menus and toolbars,
I like ribbons.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Philip Philip is offline

I missed 2003, I upgraded from 1997 (I think) to 2007. That's so much better.

Thanks a lot, and for being so quick.