Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
snowboard_heath snowboard_heath is offline

Default Header and Footer HELP!

i know how to make a footer but i have always had the problem of it not being
able to start on the page i want it too. I have a Title Page and Table of
contents, both of which i do not want the footer on nor do i want them
counted in the page numbers and i don't know how to do that. I want the
footer to START on the 3rd page, and on that 3rd page i want it to start as
Page 1 of 5 and then Page 2 of 5 etc.

I can only get the footer to not appear on the first page so i'm just
wondering how i can also not get it to appear on my second page aswell, the
table of contents.

Thanks!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

To exclude any more than one page from the numbering, you have to insert a
section break before the first numbered page, and turn off the Same As
Previous setting in the footer (and maybe the header) of the second section.
Then you can have a different -- possibly empty -- footer in the first
section, and restart numbering in the second section.

Read http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...rontMatter.htm for
specific instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

snowboard_heath wrote:
i know how to make a footer but i have always had the problem of it
not being able to start on the page i want it too. I have a Title
Page and Table of contents, both of which i do not want the footer on
nor do i want them counted in the page numbers and i don't know how
to do that. I want the footer to START on the 3rd page, and on that
3rd page i want it to start as Page 1 of 5 and then Page 2 of 5 etc.

I can only get the footer to not appear on the first page so i'm just
wondering how i can also not get it to appear on my second page
aswell, the table of contents.

Thanks!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
snowboard_heath[_2_] snowboard_heath[_2_] is offline

I managed to get the page number to start counting at the 3rd page as #1
which is what i wanted but even with the section breaks, a footer still
appears on the first 2 pages. Why? and in the page numbering it is still
counting the first to pages so instead of 1 of 2 it is displaying 1 of 4.

snowboard_heath wrote:
i know how to make a footer but i have always had the problem of it
not being able to start on the page i want it too. I have a Title
Page and Table of contents, both of which i do not want the footer on
nor do i want them counted in the page numbers and i don't know how
to do that. I want the footer to START on the 3rd page, and on that
3rd page i want it to start as Page 1 of 5 and then Page 2 of 5 etc.

I can only get the footer to not appear on the first page so i'm just
wondering how i can also not get it to appear on my second page
aswell, the table of contents.

Thanks!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
snowboard_heath[_2_] snowboard_heath[_2_] is offline

i also can't get the footer from the second section to continue onto the next
page. this is fustraiting lol

snowboard_heath wrote:
i know how to make a footer but i have always had the problem of it
not being able to start on the page i want it too. I have a Title
Page and Table of contents, both of which i do not want the footer on
nor do i want them counted in the page numbers and i don't know how
to do that. I want the footer to START on the 3rd page, and on that
3rd page i want it to start as Page 1 of 5 and then Page 2 of 5 etc.

I can only get the footer to not appear on the first page so i'm just
wondering how i can also not get it to appear on my second page
aswell, the table of contents.

Thanks!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you miss Jay's instruction to unlink the sections and leave the first
footer empty? And it appears you may have enabled either "Different first
page" or "Different odd and even," in which case you have to insert the page
number into each footer in Section 2.

You didn't mention Page X of Y in your initial post, but it will have to be
calculated, i.e. "Page { PAGE } of { = { NUMPAGES } - 2 }."

http://word.mvps.org

"snowboard_heath" wrote in
message ...

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

To exclude any more than one page from the numbering, you have to insert
section break before the first numbered page, and turn off the Same As
Previous setting in the footer (and maybe the header) of the second
section.
Then you can have a different -- possibly empty -- footer in the first
section, and restart numbering in the second section.

Read http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...rontMatter.htm
for
specific instructions.

--