Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CrazyFiatGuy

Default Bookfold layout option won't work - Word2003

This is infuriating: the pagination algorithm seems to insert blank pages for
no apparent reason, throwing off the entire document. Am I the only one who
can't get "book fold layout" to work right?... and, the"print preview"
shows no problem, because it doesnt really show what the paired pages will be
on the single sheet of paper, so I've gone thru a ream of paper trying
different tricks to see if a 20-page school show program is printing out
correctly.
I tried printing from the print preview screen, which worked previously, but
no more. Also tried "auto" number of sheets and copying all contents into a
new document... no joy.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Book fold" is a seriously flawed feature, but it should work correctly
provided you have a number of pages divisible by four. I find it easiest to
select "All" for the "Sheets per booklet" setting and take care to assure
that I have the required number of blank pages (usually at the end) to make
up this number.

The two primary issues with book fold are that (1) it reverses "mirror
margins," so you have to set the Inside as Outside and vice versa, and (2)
it rarely works as designed when you try to print specific pages (it's
supposed to print the page you specify, along with the facing page and the
two pages that would print on the back). As long as you always print only
the entire document, it will work pretty well, but this is impractical for
very long booklets.

If, despite your best efforts, you can't get the feature working to suit
you, and if you do not have Publisher or for other reasons can't use its
booklet function, then I suggest the techniques offered at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm