Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Kelly Dan Kelly is offline

Default Disable "Confirm Conversion at Open"

We are having some problems with the "Confirm Conversion at open" option
under the General Tab of the options dialog.

Having the option checked causes certain files to hang - having it unchecked
and the files are fine.

However when we try and distribute the option in either Global.dot or
Normal.dot we seem to have no luck (i.e. the previous setting persists)

We are running Office 2000...

Any Suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

Dan Kelly wrote:
We are having some problems with the "Confirm Conversion at open"
option under the General Tab of the options dialog.

Having the option checked causes certain files to hang - having it
unchecked and the files are fine.

However when we try and distribute the option in either Global.dot or
Normal.dot we seem to have no luck (i.e. the previous setting
persists)

We are running Office 2000...

Any Suggestions?

Either normal.dot or an office file is corrupted. Try using Word's Repair
feature to see if it helps. Usually found under Help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Dan

However when we try and distribute the option in either Global.dot or
Normal.dot we seem to have no luck (i.e. the previous setting persists)

I assume that Global.dot is an add-in? In any case, your experience is not
surprising, since the Confirm Conversions at Open setting is not saved in a
template. You can confirm this with a bit of testing. The Confirm
Conversions setting is an application-wide setting stored in the Word Data
key.

It's also a good thing for your users, since replacing users' normal.dot
files is generally not recommended.

For more information about that data key see
What exactly does the Data Key in the Registry store?
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...eySettings.htm

The easiest way to solve the problem will be to tell users who want to use
the problem files to tick the box.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word