Will

Default Can I Publish Web Pages from Word ?

I'm trying to help someone do a simple web page for their family.

1 - Will MS Word create a web page?
2 - Will MS Word publish the web page to a web server or must you use an ftp
program?
3 - If you must use an ftp program... are their any free ones around?
4 - Are there any free HTML editors out there that I should suggest?

thanks for any help.

lostinspace

To add to what lostinspace has said, if your friend has personal Web space
available through his/her ISP, almost certainly the ISP offers both FTP
software (I got WS_FTP from EarthLink--not terribly intuitive, but it works
well) and some sort of simple Web authoring tool (Trellix is a popular one).
This should probably be the first thing you investigate. Beyond that, it
*is* possible to create Web pages in Word and upload them with FPT
software--I did it for a while before becoming disgusted and upgrading to
FrontPage--but, as lostinspace says, Word's HMTL editor was never really
intended for creating full-fledged Web sites.

"Will" wrote in message
news
I'm trying to help someone do a simple web page for their family.

1 - Will MS Word create a web page?
2 - Will MS Word publish the web page to a web server or must you use an

ftp
program?
3 - If you must use an ftp program... are their any free ones around?
4 - Are there any free HTML editors out there that I should suggest?

thanks for any help.

Will

Dear lostinspace,

Google gave us too much information. We were hoping someone would share the
results of their prior research with us.

We will check out the news groups and the editor you suggested.

thanks,

Will

. ..

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Will,

To add to the previous answers.

1 is yes, 2 is yes if the ISP/host supports either
FrontpageServer Extensions or MS Sharepoint Services.

If you use Word to create the web page, basically you
create a document as you normally would then save it
first as a .doc file (so you have the original to
edit later) then as File=Save As=Web Page-Filtered
if your intent is for it to be browsed rather than
reused by another Word user within Word.

A disadvantage is that Word, as was mentioned, creates
web documents that Word can restore as .DOC files rather
than the smallest page code available. Here's an interesting
comparison page of Word vs a free HTML editor like the one
mentioned might produce.
http://www.mtsu.edu/~sdennis/usabili...04_MSOcode.htm

Part of the equation is how much learning do you want to
do on creating web pages and how is the web page to be used.

=========

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Amedee Van Gasse

Will shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

I'm trying to help someone do a simple web page for their family.

1 - Will MS Word create a web page?

Yes, and the HTML code will be very bulky and messy. You *will* get
comments from more seasoned visitors AND it's *possible* there will be
compatibility issues with alternative browsers if you use any "special"
formatting.

2 - Will MS Word publish the web page to a web server

No, it will not.

or must you use an ftp program?

Yes, you must.

3 - If you must use an ftp program... are their any free ones around?

Yes there are.
WS_FTP has been around since I made my first website way back in 1995.
Google should be able to provide you with alternatives.

4 - Are there any free HTML editors out there that I should suggest?

Yes.
Try nvu and let me know what you think of it.
http://www.nvu.com

thanks for any help.

You're welcome.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.5.7
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
How to Report Bugs Effectively
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
answer.
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
o-answers.html