Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
jay jay is offline

Default File linkagke

Im using windows xp and office 2007. I have a large number of small files
that can be comind to one large document, but they are easier to edit as
smaller files. I need to set up an index or table of contents that will give
me access to link directly to the specific small file as needed, like a
control center. If the files were in o ne large file then BOOKMARK would be
the way to go. But as smaller files I dont know how to do it. Help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

How about Hyperlinks?

Or you may want to be one of the guinnea pigs/lab rats/sacrificial lambs to
explore the reincarnation of Master/SubDocuments in 2007.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"jay" wrote in message
I'm using windows xp and office 2007. I have a large number of small
files
that can be comind to one large document, but they are easier to edit as
smaller files. I need to set up an index or table of contents that will
give
me access to link directly to the specific small file as needed, like a
control center. If the files were in o ne large file then BOOKMARK would
be
the way to go. But as smaller files I don't know how to do it. Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
jay jay is offline

I have not used hyperlinks to any degree. How can they solve mmy problem. I
tried looking at the help screen for master documents and found nothing.

"jay" wrote in message
I'm using windows xp and office 2007. I have a large number of small
files
that can be comind to one large document, but they are easier to edit as
smaller files. I need to set up an index or table of contents that will
give
me access to link directly to the specific small file as needed, like a
control center. If the files were in o ne large file then BOOKMARK would
be
the way to go. But as smaller files I don't know how to do it. Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Select the text you want to use as a hyperlink. On the Insert Tab click the
Hyperlink button to bring up the Insert Hyperlink dialog. Make sure Existing
File or Web Page is selected in the left pane, then use the Explorer feature
in the middle pane to navigate to & select the target file. Click OK to
finish. The text you had selected will be blue & underlined, and if you
point to it a tip box will appear confirming the destination target -
Control+Click the hyperlink to open the target file.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/23/07 6:36 PM, in article
, "jay"

"jay" wrote in message
I'm using windows xp and office 2007. I have a large number of small
files
that can be comind to one large document, but they are easier to edit as
smaller files. I need to set up an index or table of contents that will
give
me access to link directly to the specific small file as needed, like a
control center. If the files were in o ne large file then BOOKMARK would
be
the way to go. But as smaller files I don't know how to do it. Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

jay wrote:
I'm using windows xp and office 2007. I have a large number of small
files that can be comind to one large document, but they are easier
to edit as smaller files. I need to set up an index or table of
contents that will give me access to link directly to the specific
small file as needed, like a control center. If the files were in o
ne large file then BOOKMARK would be the way to go. But as smaller
files I don't know how to do it. Help?

Includes may be what you're looking for. See Help for more info or search
for them for Word on the 'net.