Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Turn off Reviewing in Word 2003

Peter

Sure, to get rid of Track Changes, you need to ACCEPT (or Reject) all
changes and then toggle off Track Changes and save the document.

Unfortunately much to the chagrin of many an unsuspecting politician and
businesses, all these changes are hidden inside the document as metadata
unless specifically removed using the correct tool. This may be downloaded
from Microsoft as an add-in for version previous to Office 2007. Office 2007
includes tools under File, Prepare.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Peter" wrote in message
I have been using Word 97 for a long period of time and just start using
Word 2003.

When I receive an Email containing a Word document, I open it and find
that there are a number of characters in different colours. Then I find
that they are reviews of the Word document.

I would like to know
1) Why does the sender send a document with the history of amendments ? I
find that she just make a copy from her predecessor and change the name to
her with her new Email address. OR She has turned on Reviewing and so her
changes are recorded BUT she is not aware of it?
2) I haven't turned on Reviewing (At least I don't have the Reviewing
Toolbar shown), why do I see those changes ?
3) If I don't show the "Reviewing Toolbar", don't press "Track Changes",
my Word 2003 document will not keep track of my changes (to avoid the
embarrassment that lady has) ? Can it be set up in options ?
4) If I have a Word Document and found that Track Changes are on, does it
mean that I have to confirm change before sending to other staff ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

See the inline comments below:

On 4/2/07 6:43 AM, in article , "Peter"
wrote:

I have been using Word 97 for a long period of time and just start using
Word 2003.

When I receive an Email containing a Word document, I open it and find that
there are a number of characters in different colours. Then I find that
they are reviews of the Word document.

I would like to know
1) Why does the sender send a document with the history of amendments ? I
find that she just make a copy from her predecessor and change the name to
her with her new Email address. OR She has turned on Reviewing and so her
changes are recorded BUT she is not aware of it?

Your assessment is right on target - she doesn't understand the Track
Changes feature & doesn't realize that she is broadcasting the doc's entire
background as a result of that lack of knowledge.

2) I haven't turned on Reviewing (At least I don't have the Reviewing
Toolbar shown), why do I see those changes ?

It is a security feature to help people *avoid* this specific type of
embarrassment & liability. When a doc containing Tracked Changes is opened
the changes are automatically displayed. It isn't a matter of the user
opening the file "activating" the reviewing tools - the doc, itself, does
that.

3) If I don't show the "Reviewing Toolbar", don't press "Track Changes", my
Word 2003 document will not keep track of my changes (to avoid the
embarrassment that lady has) ? Can it be set up in options ?

If you don't turn Track Changes ON in the docs you edit, the changes don't
get tracked - unless the feature was turned on by someone else prior to you
editing the doc.

4) If I have a Word Document and found that Track Changes are on, does it
mean that I have to confirm change before sending to other staff ?

Once Track Changes is turned ON it remains ON until *all changes* are
Accepted or Rejected & the feature is turned OFF. Even turning it OFF
doesn't remove the changes that have already been tracked - that's what the
other user evidently doesn't understand.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Peter is offline

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for your advice.

I am using Outlook Express, does it also has "Add properties to attachments
to enable Reply with Changes" option ?

Thanks
Peter

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
To add to what Bob has said, you may want to read "Review Toolbar
Annoyance"

so
all may benefit.

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I don't think there's any such setting in Outlook Express, but I've always
wondered what happens if you use File | Send To | Mail Recipient (for
Review) using OE. And of course the issue here is the mail client the sender
is using, not the one you (the recipient) are using.

"Peter" wrote in message
Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for your advice.

I am using Outlook Express, does it also has "Add properties to

attachments
to enable Reply with Changes" option ?

Thanks
Peter

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
To add to what Bob has said, you may want to read "Review Toolbar
Annoyance"

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.