Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chris Chris is offline

Default Custom Figure Captions

Hello, I am having difficulty inserting a custom figure caption that reads
as "Picture A-1" instead of "Picture 1-A". I have tried linking to the
Heading style as indicated in the help reference, but cannot get this to
work. Thank you in advance of your responses.

Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Chris

We need some more information:

- what version of Word?
- what heading style?
- how is the heading style numbered?

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Chris" wrote in message
Hello, I am having difficulty inserting a custom figure caption that
reads
as "Picture A-1" instead of "Picture 1-A". I have tried linking to the
Heading style as indicated in the help reference, but cannot get this to
work. Thank you in advance of your responses.

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chris Chris is offline

Hello Shauna,

It is Word 2003,
I wasn't sure which Heading style to use so I thought I would simply use
Heading 1, but I really don't know which Heading style to use.
I wanted to replace 1 of the lesser used Heading Styles, e.g.

I. Heading 1________
A. Heading 2_______
1. Heading 3_______

It is at this point where things break down. I can alter the Heading styles
but I still cannot get it to work when I try applying the captions.

I hope this helps.

Chris

"Chris" wrote in message
Hello, I am having difficulty inserting a custom figure caption that
reads
as "Picture A-1" instead of "Picture 1-A". I have tried linking to the
Heading style as indicated in the help reference, but cannot get this to
work. Thank you in advance of your responses.

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Chris

First, set up your heading numbering as described he
How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word
document
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

At Insert Reference Caption, use the Numbering button to control
numbering.

The "Format" controls the format of the number of the caption itself (if you
want Picture 1-A, set this to A, B, C).

If you tick "Include chapter number" you'll get a two-part number.

The first part of the number will be the number picked up from whatever
style you choose in "Chapter starts with style". The separator will be
whatever separator you choose. If you want Picture 1-A, choose "-".

Hope this helps.

"Chris" wrote in message
Hello, I am having difficulty inserting a custom figure caption that
reads
as "Picture A-1" instead of "Picture 1-A". I have tried linking to the
Heading style as indicated in the help reference, but cannot get this
work. Thank you in advance of your responses.

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chris Chris is offline

Shauna,

Thak you for your assistacne. This is exactly what I was looking for and
your information was both detailed and directly addressed my problem. Thakk
you.

Chris