Gizmo2003

Default Recover old file before it was overwitten?

Hi all,

The answer may seem obvious, but I'm holding out for the opposite to be
true.

My colleague closed a Word document and instead of choosing "No" to the
"do you want to save this file?" question, she clicked yes. It saved,
document closed.
She didn't want these new changes (all there is now is a blank page).
Is there any way she can recover the previous version?

(She has not been using the Word versions options)
Word 2003

thanks!

--
Gizmo2003
Pyth007

Here is an excerpt from an earlier reply I had posted:

Pyth007 on June 27, 2005 Wrote:
Boy, tough problem! I can't think of a solution right now. The only
thing I can think of is using the backup file, but I believe this is
only allowed if there is a power shortage without a save (when you
restart Word, Word senses that a file was not shut-down properly before
(there is a file that starts with '$~filename' in the directory) and so
can revert to this backup instead of reopening the file from where it
was last saved).

Also I believe that this is worse than deleting the file accidentally;
usually when a file is "delete", it is actually renamed with some
symbol (eg a '$') at the beginning of the name, which lets the
operating system know that the space on the disk is now available.
However, there are programs out there (I believe Norton has one) that
allows you to "ressurect" a deleted file by renaming it into a valid
file name. This works best if there have been no (or few) other files
saved after the time that the first was deleted; as more files get
saved, there is a greater chance that the operating system will write
over the space that was "deleted". This is how the police / FBI can
look at files / e-mail that were "deleted". This is also why, if you
plan to sell your computer / hard-drive, you should make sure to erase
sensitive information ("erasing" being the process of writing over
"deleted" space with nonsense / random data). Thus, if Word were to
"delete" your original document and then save the modified document
with the same name (but in a different physical location on the
hard-drive) then you might be able to recover the deleted file. However
if Word actually writes over the space with the new document, then you
might be out of luck. It may be worth a try to see if you can recover /
ressurect the deleted file, especially if the file is very important and
you do not have a hard-copy of it.

Hope this helps...

--
Pyth007
lukeles

Hello,

DataRecoveryWizard utility can help. Speaking about me, it was
easily able to restore lost partition, so I think you will
also find it quite useful. Really recommended tool, give it a try.

http://www.easeus.com/
--
Good work, Good day.

"Gizmo2003" wrote:

Hi all,

The answer may seem obvious, but I'm holding out for the opposite to be
true.

My colleague closed a Word document and instead of choosing "No" to the
"do you want to save this file?" question, she clicked yes. It saved,
document closed.
She didn't want these new changes (all there is now is a blank page).
Is there any way she can recover the previous version?

(She has not been using the Word versions options)
Word 2003

thanks!

--
Gizmo2003

hello,

Actually I'm doubt this can help, but still there's a chance data
recovery tool will be able to restore. Active@ undelete is the most
powerful one imho so you can try it.
http://www.active-undelete.com/

garfield-n-odie