rollo

Default cannot open word documents

Whenever I try to open a word document from a floppy of download from the web
it keeps telling me file not available. Can anybody help?
garfield-n-odie

If you're using Symantec/Norton AntiVirus, try disabling the
Office Plugin that comes with it. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office
programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more
information.

You should not save files directly to a floppy disk or other
removable media from Office applications, because doing so
usually results in file corruption sooner or later. Save to the
hard drive, close the file, and then use Windows Explorer or My
Computer or your CD mastering software to copy the file to the
removable media.

You should not open files directly from a floppy disk or other
removable media in Office applications, because doing so usually
results in file corruption sooner or later. Copy the files to
your hard drive, remove the read-only attribute in
File-Properties, modify and save the file to the hard drive,
close the file, and then use Windows Explorer or My Computer or
your CD mastering software to copy the file to the removable media.

File corruption can occur when there is not enough space on the
removable media for the Office application to create the
necessary temporary files, and there is no way of knowing how
much space the temporary files will use. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632 "Description of how
Word creates temporary files" for more information.

rollo wrote:

Whenever I try to open a word document from a floppy of download from the web
it keeps telling me file not available. Can anybody help?

garfield-n-odie

Strange as it may seem, uninstalling Norton Antivirus doesn't
always uninstall the Norton Office Plugin. Use Windows Explorer
or My Computer to search for the OFFICEAV.DLL file on the hard
drive (be sure to include system and hidden files/folders in the
search options). If you find it, note the folder where it is
located, and use the "regsvr32 /u" method described in KB329820
to unregister the DLL.

rollo wrote:

Whenever I try to open a word document from a floppy of download from the web
it keeps telling me file not available. Can anybody help?

rollo

Many thanks. This is a life saver! I have found the file but cannot open
Norton Antivirus having already deleted it to delete the dll file. I am not
good at this. Can you please help me crack this final step? Grateful for your
help.

Best wishes Rollo

"rollo" wrote:

Whenever I try to open a word document from a floppy of download from the web
it keeps telling me file not available. Can anybody help?

garfield-n-odie

You don't need to open Norton Antivirus to delete the dll file.
Read my reply again, and you'll see that I tell you exactly how
to unregister the dll.