WVA

Default What is Windows Installer error 1606

I could not get the template used in the basic document in MS Office Word
2003 to install when I upgraded from Office 2000. It said there was a Windows
installer error 1606. Any ideas how to repair this problem.
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:04:04 -0800, WVA
wrote:

I could not get the template used in the basic document in MS Office Word
2003 to install when I upgraded from Office 2000. It said there was a Windows
installer error 1606. Any ideas how to repair this problem.

You haven't given enough information to work with, and there may not
be any way for you to find out.

Windows Installer error 1606 is documented as meaning "The feature
identifier is not registered." Unfortunately, neither of us knows
which feature it's complaining about.

When you say "could not get the template used in the basic document in
MS Office Word" it sounds like you're referring to Normal.dot. The
installer doesn't have anything to do with creating Normal.dot; the
program itself does that when it runs for the first time, or whenever
it starts up and doesn't find the file. You can force Word to recreate
Normal.dot just by renaming the existing one to something else.

If you're worried that something isn't right in your Word
installation, go to the Help menu and click "Detect and Repair".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman