Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dee Dee is offline

Default Header/Footer Question

I have 5 Word documents that I need to combine. I have added section breaks
after each document because I want to have different header and footers in
each document. I have page numbering in the header. When I combine the
documents I have 21 pages. However, I have one document that I inserted into
this document that I want to number separately in the footer. This document
has 7 pages so I want in header to page 10 of 21, 11 of 21, 12 of 21, 13 of
21, etc. but in the footer of this one document that was added after page 9
which gives me 10 of 21 etc. I want the 7 page in this document to say in the
footer Page 1 of 7, 2 of 7 etc. If I try and change the number in the footer
to start at 1 the page number in the header says page 1 of 21. I even tried
just typing in the page 1 of 7, Page 2 of 7 etc. but Word number all the
pages except the first on 7 of 7. Is there any way I can get the page numbers
to reflect the number of pages in the whole document in the header and the
page numbers to reflect the number of pages in the document section to read 1
of 7, 2 of 7 etc. I added a field that NumSection and I get the no of page as
7 but I can't get 1 of 7, 2 of 7 etc.

I am using Word 2003.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Dee
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In the footer of the section that contains that document, use the following
field construction

{ = { PAGE } - 9 } of { = { NUMPAGES } - 14 }

You must use Ctrl + F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters. In place of
the second field construction, you could of course just use 7.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP