Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dad Dad is offline

Default Is there a way to tell when a change was made to a word document

I'm trying to find a way to audit a word document that was not created using
"Track Changes", I'm trying to find out if there is a way to display when
text was modified, edited, etc....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:08:01 -0700, Dad
wrote:

I'm trying to find a way to audit a word document that was not created using
"Track Changes", I'm trying to find out if there is a way to display when
text was modified, edited, etc....

The "when" should be visible in the File Properties dialog, on the
Statistics tab.

The "what changes", if you need to find out, may be found by using the
Tools Compare and Merge Documents feature. In the dialog that
appears, click the down arrow on the Merge button and choose to merge
to a new document; the result should be the same as if Track Changes
was turned on while the changes were made.

That's the theory, anyway. Up through Word 2003, the feature has a
nasty tendency to stop comparing after a certain point, mainly in
large documents where the need is most critical, and just mark
everything after that as changed. I've heard that Word 2007 has
improved the performance, but I don't have any personal experience
with it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman