Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Arden Arden is offline

Default VBA macro - Mailmerge date - for today and for history

I am working with mailmerge documents which must print today's date in the
letter. A copy of the generated file also must be saved as an historic
archive of what was printed today, retaining the generated date even when
being viewed tomorrow.

I had started with Today and realized that it recalculates each time the
document is opened. No good.

So then I built the document with SAVEDATE and it seems to work as long as I
manually run the merge from within the document.

The desired goal, however, is to use a VBA macro to run the merge and then
copy and store the generated file in a specific directory. Though the
SAVEDATE works within the manual merge process, the macro's execution of the
merge generates a date before today...?

Any advice?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Save the mail merge main document as a template and use a CREATEDATE field
for the date. When a document is created from the template, the date that
is displayed will be the date on which the document is created.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Arden" wrote in message
news
I am working with mailmerge documents which must print today's date in the
letter. A copy of the generated file also must be saved as an historic
archive of what was printed today, retaining the generated date even when
being viewed tomorrow.

I had started with Today and realized that it recalculates each time the
document is opened. No good.

So then I built the document with SAVEDATE and it seems to work as long as
manually run the merge from within the document.

The desired goal, however, is to use a VBA macro to run the merge and then
copy and store the generated file in a specific directory. Though the
SAVEDATE works within the manual merge process, the macro's execution of
the
merge generates a date before today...?

Any advice?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Arden Arden is offline

Doug -

Thanks for the counsel. I will re-test this. If I remember correctly from
last week's quick analysis, however, it was using the CREATEDATE of the
Template not necessarily the merged document.

Arden

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Save the mail merge main document as a template and use a CREATEDATE field
for the date. When a document is created from the template, the date that
is displayed will be the date on which the document is created.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Arden" wrote in message
news
I am working with mailmerge documents which must print today's date in the
letter. A copy of the generated file also must be saved as an historic
archive of what was printed today, retaining the generated date even when
being viewed tomorrow.

I had started with Today and realized that it recalculates each time the
document is opened. No good.

So then I built the document with SAVEDATE and it seems to work as long as
manually run the merge from within the document.

The desired goal, however, is to use a VBA macro to run the merge and then
copy and store the generated file in a specific directory. Though the
SAVEDATE works within the manual merge process, the macro's execution of
the
merge generates a date before today...?

Any advice?

Thanks.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The date will be the date upon which the mail merge main document is created
from the template by the use of FileNew. If however, you use FileOpen,
then yes, you will get the date upon which the template was created.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Save the mail merge main document as a template and use a CREATEDATE
field
for the date. When a document is created from the template, the date
that
is displayed will be the date on which the document is created.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
on
a paid professional basis.

"Arden" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Arden,

In your mailmerge main document, simply embed the DATE field in a QUOTE field. To do this, select the date field, press Ctrl-F9 to
embed it in another field and type 'QUOTE' inside the left field brace. You should see something like:
{QUOTE1 December 2009}
Press F9 to update the field, then run your mailerge. The output document will now have today's date as plain text, rather than as a
DATE field.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Arden" wrote in message news
I am working with mailmerge documents which must print today's date in the
letter. A copy of the generated file also must be saved as an historic
archive of what was printed today, retaining the generated date even when
being viewed tomorrow.

I had started with Today and realized that it recalculates each time the
document is opened. No good.

So then I built the document with SAVEDATE and it seems to work as long as I
manually run the merge from within the document.

The desired goal, however, is to use a VBA macro to run the merge and then
copy and store the generated file in a specific directory. Though the
SAVEDATE works within the manual merge process, the macro's execution of the
merge generates a date before today...?

Any advice?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Arden Arden is offline

Macropod -

Thanks...I'll give this a try. It definitely seems like the direction we
want to go having today's date saved as the plain text.

Arden

"Arden" wrote in message news
I am working with mailmerge documents which must print today's date in the
letter. A copy of the generated file also must be saved as an historic
archive of what was printed today, retaining the generated date even when
being viewed tomorrow.

I had started with Today and realized that it recalculates each time the
document is opened. No good.

So then I built the document with SAVEDATE and it seems to work as long as I
manually run the merge from within the document.

The desired goal, however, is to use a VBA macro to run the merge and then
copy and store the generated file in a specific directory. Though the
SAVEDATE works within the manual merge process, the macro's execution of the
merge generates a date before today...?

Any advice?

Thanks.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Arden Arden is offline

The initial testing looks good, with the Quote/Date field actually coded as:
{QUOTE {DATE \@ "MMMM dd, yyy"} } to allow for the date formatting. The user
is confirming that her results are the same as our, both within the Main
document and through the VBA Template. We will confirm tomorrow that the
plain text date doesn't unexpectedly change before we modify across all of
our macros.

Thanks!