Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
AJ AJ is offline

Default styles renaming

I have my standard styles (Word 2000) that i know i will not be able to
delete: Normal Default Paragraph Font Heading 1 Heading 2 Heading . . .etc.

In my template, I want a certain paragraph style for the first paragraph,
and a second style for paragraph 2 (with a first line indent), for example.

All okay. But I cannot rename them as Paragraph 1 and Paragraph 2 in my
Style list, instead, the styles keep saying: Normal, Normal 1, and Normal,
Normal 2, or Normal, Normal paragraph 1 or something similar. Very long
descriptions. And always seems attached to Normal, won't save my new ones
that I make.

Is there any way, please, I can rename my styles so they don't have these
very long descriptors like this? Or set up entirely new ones NOT linked to
the standard ones I can't delete? (In Quark, I can do this easily.) Thanks
for any help.
--
AJ
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I wonder if you're choosing "Modify" instead of "New" in the style dialog.
You should certainly be able to name the style anything you want. FWIW, I
use the built-in Body Text and Body Text First Indent for these purposes
(modified as required for specific templates).

"AJ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
AJ AJ is offline

Gosh you make it sound a 'cinch. Thanks kindly Suzanne.
Your posts on this site have helped me often. Shall work with your
suggestions.
Best, AJ
--
AJ

"AJ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

BTW, if you want to use the built-in styles, but also prefer to use your own
alias names, Word2007 has a new option to "Hide built-in name when alternate
name exists".
Pretty nifty addition, I think! Especially for the heading styles, which can
use more descriptive names in some documents/templates (say "Heading
Section", "Heading Chapter", "Heading Subchapter" instead of "Heading 1",
"Heading 2", "Heading 3").

Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I wonder if you're choosing "Modify" instead of "New" in the style dialog.
You should certainly be able to name the style anything you want. FWIW, I
use the built-in Body Text and Body Text First Indent for these purposes
(modified as required for specific templates).

so
all may benefit.

"AJ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But I can imagine that the option, when enabled, would also cause some
confusion.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"AJ" wrote in message
I have my standard styles (Word 2000) that i know i will not be

able to
delete: Normal Default Paragraph Font Heading 1 Heading 2 Heading

.. .