Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pete Pete is offline

Default New document displays without header/footer area

Somehow Word was put into a mode that when a new document is created the
header/footer area is not visible, that is, the page only shows the height
without the header/footers. Clicking on the View Menu and selecting the
'Header and Footer' menu item will cause the areas to be displayed along with
its option bar. From this point on the header/footer will be present for that
document even when opening it again. The question is how do I set/reset word
to always open a new document that shows the full page with its header and
footer area?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pete Pete is offline

Thanks very much. In my case the option 'White space between pages' was
already checked, so I opened the options dialog, unchecked it, clicked ok and
then re-opened the options dialog, re-checked it, clicked ok again. Now
everything is fine. :-)

Pete wrote:

Somehow Word was put into a mode that when a new document is created the
header/footer area is not visible, that is, the page only shows the height
without the header/footers. Clicking on the View Menu and selecting the
'Header and Footer' menu item will cause the areas to be displayed along with
its option bar. From this point on the header/footer will be present for that
document even when opening it again. The question is how do I set/reset word
to always open a new document that shows the full page with its header and
footer area?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The box will be checked whenever you have the white space displayed (which
you had already accomplished by using View | Header and Footer). For
information about how it got unchecked, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm