Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tracey Tracey is offline

Default Index Formatting

Hi, I have a word 2003 document containing 6 indexes. Im new to indexing so
their developement was more via trial and error rather than the correct /
idea way to generate multiple indexes - there was a lot of cutting and
pasting rather than setting it up through words indexing feature which has
proven to be more problematic that it needed to be.

Anyway - When I format one of the indexes (post generation of the index),
the format change replicates through to the other indexes that have a similar
structure. Have I inadvertenly managed to link these or is it just the way
Word works? Is there any way to manually apply font changes to one index
post its generation with out it affecting the others.

By way of example I have one index that has the following structure {INDEX
\f"clinical programme"\e" "}, the structure of the code for each entry is
{XE "Cancer Services:Black, Peter"\f"clinical programme"}. The result is:
Cancer Services
Black, Peter
Davis, Mary
Oncology
Murphy, Grant
I want to have the titles cancer services and oncology in white font colour
with black shading, It is this formatting that I applied after the fact.

The next index has the same structure but as its is simply a surname index
the result is
Black, Peter
Cancer Services
Davis, Mary
Cancer Services
Murphy, Grant
Oncology
If I format the clinical programme index then the surname index also changes
in format - which looks silly. For this index I just want black font and no
shading.

Any suggestions would be welcomed
Cheers

PS this was previously posted in the Word MAC discussion group in error
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, since all the indexes use the same Index styles, you can't
have different layouts for different indexes. What you *can* do, though it
would be very tedious, would be to mark the entries for each index as a
different level, then format the Index style at that level differently.
There are nine styles (Index 1, Index 2, and so on), so you could have two
levels for some indexes but not for all.

I'm not sure exactly how that would work out in practice, given the way
indexes subordinate entries; I'm more familiar with jiggering TOCs.

"Tracey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tracey Tracey is offline

Wow, given the number of index enteries and my deadline I think this one is
going to fall into the too hard basket for now. Oh well maybe next time.
Thanks yet again for coming to my aid - you have been a fantastic support to
me in my endeavours in mastering indexing.