Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paradise Paradise is offline

Default How do I revert from office 2007 menus to 2003 look and feel?

I am so tired of the new 2007 ribbons.... I want my old "Classic 2003" menus
back... Any help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Luc[_2_] Luc[_2_] is offline

Paradise,
Maybe this will make your life easier:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...mizeRibbon.htm

--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
I am so tired of the new 2007 ribbons.... I want my old "Classic 2003"
menus
back... Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paradise Paradise is offline

Thank you... I knew about these already... What I am looking for is
Microsoft to add the classic 2003 feature to thier product. I realize some
folks think the new look and feel is great , I hope the MS realizes that a
great deal of CUSTOMERS like the Classic menu's and built in MS options
should be available for them. After the money I just spent for this product
I am not going to pay more to fix it... Thanks again for the suggestion..

Mr Bill, Are you listeming?

"Luc" wrote:

Paradise,
Maybe this will make your life easier:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...mizeRibbon.htm

--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
"Paradise" schreef in bericht
I am so tired of the new 2007 ribbons.... I want my old "Classic 2003"
menus
back... Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think the operative phrase is "don't hold your breath". First, I don't
believe that Bill Gates is involved in the day to day operation of Microsoft
anymore. Second, I believe that the ribbon interface is aimed more at the
billions of people who have never used Office before, rather than the tens
of millions who have. I'm told that they will find the ribbon easier, more
discoverable, and more intuitive. Do I believe this? No. Not really. But,
that's beside the point.

Those who don't like the ribbon interface can a) go back to Office 2003 or
earlier, b) convert to OpenOffice (free) or something else, c) compromise by
using one of the training-wheels solutions, or d) bite the bullet and use
the ribbon interface despite the fact that they hate it.

A lot of MVPs fell into category d, largely because of a need to support
other users for whom a, b, and c aren't really choices.

I'm not sure where you bought Office 2007, but all of the places where I buy
software offer a satisfaction-guaranteed-or-your-money-back policy (if they
didn't, I wouldn't shop there). So, presumably... unless you've kept it
beyond the money-back time period, you're possibly not stuck with it.

To correct something you said, however... It is true that some add-ons that
restore part of the look & feel do cost money. But, at least one (the
starter edition of Patrick Schmid's RibbonCustomizer) is free. See:

http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...er/starter.php

For a different approach -- which can be done without downloading any
additional software -- see the following article, which shows at least one
way to make Word 2007 a bit more similar to Word 2003:

http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...more-familiar/

The latter was my own compromise, and has made Word 2007 a lot more usable
for me. I'm not all that fond of the Office 2007 interface (it's an
ergonomic nightmare as far as I'm concerned, since it takes many more steps
to accomplish things than it did in Word 2003). However, I've gradually
adapted and have replaced the round-about methods with methods that better
suit my working style. So, at this point, it's no longer an ergonomic
nightmare (but it took me months before I was able to make that statement).

Good luck!

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Luc" wrote:

Paradise,
Maybe this will make your life easier:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...mizeRibbon.htm

--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
"Paradise" schreef in bericht
I am so tired of the new 2007 ribbons.... I want my old "Classic 2003"
menus
back... Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Let me understand....

You bought Office 2007 sight unseen with the assumption that it was the same
as what you already had (2003). Now, upon finding that the *new version*
actually is *new* you expect MS to revise 2007 to be what the prior version
was. Yeah, that makes sense %}

I don't think you were taken any more by surprise than most of us by the
radical change in the UI. Herb offers some excellent advice and - who knows
- in time you may find that you wouldn't go back to the "Classic" UI even if
it were available. There's no doubt it takes quite an adjustment period.

Good Luck |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/9/07 3:40 PM, in article
, "Paradise"

"Luc" wrote:

Paradise,
Maybe this will make your life easier:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...mizeRibbon.htm

--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
"Paradise" schreef in bericht
I am so tired of the new 2007 ribbons.... I want my old "Classic 2003"
menus
back... Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hating Awful 2007 Hating Awful 2007 is offline

Try this one... for those of us who do advanced things in office knew where
things were in the menus. By changing the interface and not giving us an
option to go back to an interface thatr we were familiar with, MS has cost us
hours and money in lost production because we are trying to find our way
around this awful interface. I just spent the last hour looking for 1
freakin' command in Excel (and I still have not found it). I knew where to
find it under the old Excel versions (5.0 - 2003). If i wanted to have
buttons, i would have customized the toolbars... Not every command has an
icon so they don't have it readily available in the new GUI. We should
always have an option to have menus... Microsoft has tried really hard to
"simplify" the GUI and in doing so has ruined office and windows by
eliminating the menus. First Vista disables the standard menus (File,
Edit...) and now Office does not even come with them at all!!! At least when
Windows XP changed the Start Menu to that really crappy interface, we could
back my Menus with an option, in Awful 2007, we are just screwed.

I cannot simply go back to 2003 others suggested. I am tech support I have
to be able to support a college campus worth of new 2007 users. I have 2003
loaded on one computer at my desk, the other just got loaded with Office 2007
and its crappy interface. I am going to have a lot of unhappy MBA students
come Jan 2, 2008 when our campus will officially support 2007. At this point
we just tell them that we do not support 2007 and that they were told they
were supposed to have 2003 and if they did not, we could sell it to them for
really cheap under a site license.

So, once again, Microsoft, bring back our Menus because we are sick and
tired of wasting valuable time looking for where ever the hell you hid the
commands we are looking for.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Let me understand....

You bought Office 2007 sight unseen with the assumption that it was the same
as what you already had (2003). Now, upon finding that the *new version*
actually is *new* you expect MS to revise 2007 to be what the prior version
was. Yeah, that makes sense %}

I don't think you were taken any more by surprise than most of us by the
radical change in the UI. Herb offers some excellent advice and - who knows
- in time you may find that you wouldn't go back to the "Classic" UI even if
it were available. There's no doubt it takes quite an adjustment period.

Good Luck |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

You can always install some third party software that will somewhat mimic
the old interface. I say *somewhat* mimic because I don't know how exact it
is. (I prefer to learn to use the new format so I'm not going to install
anything that changes it. I want to be ready for the day when I have to use
it on the job.)

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Hating Awful 2007" Hating Awful wrote in
message ...

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Let me understand....

You bought Office 2007 sight unseen with the assumption that it was the
same
as what you already had (2003). Now, upon finding that the *new version*
actually is *new* you expect MS to revise 2007 to be what the prior
version
was. Yeah, that makes sense %}

I don't think you were taken any more by surprise than most of us by the
radical change in the UI. Herb offers some excellent advice and - who
knows
- in time you may find that you wouldn't go back to the "Classic" UI even
if
it were available. There's no doubt it takes quite an adjustment period.

Good Luck |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gabigei gabigei is offline

I think I will migrate to Linux. With vista (1gb memory and a powerfull
processor) and office 2007 ( another 256 mb memo).........., money spent also
on licenses. At least Linux is free
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FGarvin FGarvin is offline

People have always purchased newer versions of microsoft products expecting
to be able to keep the same basic look and feel of the previous version. Most
times, people do not buy it, it is purchased by the company they work for and
shoved down their throats whether they want it or not.

Attitudes like yours however is what is making more and more people leave
microsoft for free solutions such as Linux and Open office. Its bad enough
when you are forced to use something, but when you are told to just shut up
and lie back and enjoy it, you pretty much want to get up and leave.

"Luc" wrote:

Paradise,
Maybe this will make your life easier:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...mizeRibbon.htm

--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
"Paradise" schreef in bericht
I am so tired of the new 2007 ribbons.... I want my old "Classic 2003"
menus
back... Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

?B?RkdhcnZpbg==?= wrote in
:

"Luc" wrote:

Paradise,
Maybe this will make your life easier:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...mizeRibbon.htm

--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
"Paradise" schreef in bericht
I am so tired of the new 2007 ribbons.... I want my old "Classic
2003" menus
back... Any help?

These so-called improvements are not limited to MS products.
Most every software vendor when introducing a new version subtract some
useful functions from the previous versions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] asnowfall@gmail.com is offline

Today I am uninstalling Office 2007 and going back to Office 200. I am
a s/w engineer and worked on UI but this Office2007 has been a
nightmare for me. I get little free time to work on technical doc and
that precious time gets taken by learning the Office 2007. I do not
think people learn how to drive a car once two year and have better
things to do in life than re-learn the how to edit a document.
Irrespective of UI at the end of day it just a document...
I am totally frustrated. (Note I have programmed for MS windows 14yrs
and nothing against them)