Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert Robert is offline

Default Word 2003 AutoCorrect is Driving me nuts!

I am having trouble with the AutoCorrect feature within Spell Check. If I
type a word (wrong) and click on the spelling and grammer button, the window
pops up, shows the mis-spelled word in the top frame, suggestions briefly
show up, then grey out (no correction to the mis-spelled word is done). If I
click on the AutoCorrect button it comes up that the word is not in the
dictionary. If I click "no" sometimes, the greyed out words show up and I
can make the change. I have tried everything I can to get it to work but
have not been successful....HELP!
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I believe you cannot automatically add a correction to AutoCorrect if no
suggestions are shown, but you should be able to type in the misspelling to
be replaced and the desired replacement text. If this doesn't work through
the shortcut menu, you can open AutoCorrect manually using Tools |
AutoCorrect Options.

"Robert" wrote in message
I am having trouble with the AutoCorrect feature within Spell Check. If I
type a word (wrong) and click on the spelling and grammer button, the
window
pops up, shows the mis-spelled word in the top frame, suggestions briefly
show up, then grey out (no correction to the mis-spelled word is done).
If I
click on the AutoCorrect button it comes up that the word is not in the
dictionary. If I click "no" sometimes, the greyed out words show up and I
can make the change. I have tried everything I can to get it to work but
have not been successful....HELP!
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert Robert is offline

Hi Suzanne, No that is not the problem...when I do a spell check, (and there
is a mis-spelled word) all replacement words are there but greyed out; can't
select any of them. When I click on AutoCorrect or Change, a pop up window
appears and says that the mis-spelled word is not in the main or custom
dictionary, and askes if I wish to continue. If I pick no, the correctly
spelled, suggested words, then switch to black and I can now pick which
suggested word I want to replace the mis-spelled word with. It then repeats
this again with the next wrong word.
Perhaps this is more of a problem with the Dictionary more so than the
AutoCorrect feature.
Robert

"Robert" wrote in message
I am having trouble with the AutoCorrect feature within Spell Check. If I
type a word (wrong) and click on the spelling and grammer button, the
window
pops up, shows the mis-spelled word in the top frame, suggestions briefly
show up, then grey out (no correction to the mis-spelled word is done).
If I
click on the AutoCorrect button it comes up that the word is not in the
dictionary. If I click "no" sometimes, the greyed out words show up and I
can make the change. I have tried everything I can to get it to work but
have not been successful....HELP!
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert Robert is offline

Hi Again:
Tried both methods, same problem. As I stated earlier, the suggested
replacement words are shown (greyed out) and only become black and can be
selected only after going through the button pushing I wrote about...This one
has me stumped...might have to uninstall and reinstall. (YUCK)