Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JMiller JMiller is offline

Default Headings Question

what I'd like to be able to do is to use the numbered outline headings, but
sometimes I'd like to put a short string before the heading; for example:

1 blah
1.1 blah blah
REQ 1.2 blah blah blah
1.3 blah blah blah blah

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Although you can add text to the number format, you cannot do so for a
single paragraph; you can only do it for all paragraphs at a particular
numbering level.

To accomplish what you want, you may want to number certain paragraphs using
LISTNUM fields. Assuming that there are no intervening lists, this will be
relatively easy:

1 Heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
REQ { LISTNUM \l 2 } This is text at level two (but it doesn't have a
numbered style applied to it)

You can insert the LISTNUM field and specify a numbering level for it via
the Fields dialog box: In Word 2007, use Insert tab | Quick Parts | Field;
in Word 97-2003, use Insert | Field.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JMiller" wrote in message
what I'd like to be able to do is to use the numbered outline headings,
but
sometimes I'd like to put a short string before the heading; for example:

1 blah
1.1 blah blah
REQ 1.2 blah blah blah
1.3 blah blah blah blah

TIA

Outline numbering - headings and no-headings on same level VBMoron Microsoft Word Help 1 October 23rd 07 02:06 PM
Sorry if a little off topic but question on paper for letter headings Ken New Users 13 April 20th 07 08:43 AM
Headings Daniel Microsoft Word Help 1 April 3rd 07 08:29 AM
Headings Joe Blow New Users 3 November 17th 05 06:19 PM
Run-in Headings Henry in Texas Microsoft Word Help 2 September 22nd 05 03:26 PM