Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kdubois kdubois is offline

Default Word 2007 Equation Editor - apparent conflict with graphics

I'm using Office 2007 Professional Plus, Word 2007 Equation Editor.

I'm putting equations into files with our company logo in them (.bmp format).

The equations look fine on screen and in print preview mode, but when output
to local printers, network printers, or generated to PDF through Adobe 8's
ribbon tab, the equations print out only horizontal bars (if any are included
in the equation - nothing if no horizontal bars are in the equation).

I've tried switching the logo to a .jpg or .tif file format, and this works
fine, but I get a gray haze around the logo because these file formats are
not clear background. When I use the Picture Tool, Recolor, Set Transparent
to make the background transparent, the equation again will not print.

The only workaround I have found is to use the Microsoft Add-In for Print to
PDF or XPS, print the file to PDF and then print out the resulting PDF;
however, my engineers are not happy with this clumsy solution! Does anyone
have any ideas on this one? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi K.,

Where is the graphic located (body of document, header, footer)?

If you double click on the border of the equation what formatting/location have you chosen and are there right to left languages
enabled in Word 2007 (if so you would have a right to left text direction icon on the Home ribbon).

Is Cambria Math available and is that the font applied to the equation content?

===========

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kdubois kdubois is offline

Thank you for getting back to me, Bob!

We are leaving the equation font as Cambria Math (the default). The
justification is typically Centered as a Group, but I've tried all the
justifications including in line and have the same problem with all of them.

We do not have any right to left languages enabled.

Our logo is in the header on the first page and in the footer on the 2nd
page. However, I've tried moving them out of the header/footer and placing
them in the body and have the same problem.

We did some more troubleshooting last night - a colleague has Office 2007
Standard Edition at home, and she tried it there and the equations printed
fine, even with the transparent logo. Could this be an issue with
Professional Plus only?

Thank you for any light you can shed on this!
Kelly

"kdubois" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CaveNerd CaveNerd is offline

We are having the same issue with Enterprise Office and Equations.
We have tried several "Fix's" such as change the True_Type font to print as
Bitmap, but this is an inconsistant fix.
We Have tried mutiple printer models, brands, and drivers. Its just seams to
be a hit and miss with the equation editor wether it will print the equations
or not.
We may have to roll about 500 users back to 2003 if there is not a
workaround for this issue.

"kdubois" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Dear Cave -- Keep in mind the "old" equation editor (aka "Microsoft
Equation") is still part of Office 2007. MathType 6 also works very
well with Office 2007, and has more features than either of the
equation editors. Either of these routes would be (IMO) a better
solution than rolling 500 people back to Office 2003.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kdubois kdubois is offline

I'm glad to know that we're not the only ones having this problem. Does
anyone know if Microsoft is aware of the problem? Are they working on a fix?
Is there a better work around than using the Print to PDF or XPS add-in and
going to PDF prior to printing?

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

Dear Cave -- Keep in mind the "old" equation editor (aka "Microsoft
Equation") is still part of Office 2007. MathType 6 also works very
well with Office 2007, and has more features than either of the
equation editors. Either of these routes would be (IMO) a better
solution than rolling 500 people back to Office 2003.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
Design Science, Inc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CaveNerd CaveNerd is offline

Kdubios -
Microsoft should be aware as there are many many many post about printing
issues with office 2007.
The only one i have been able to find for them confirming that there is an
issue is here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920228

some one having the same issue as you
http://help.lockergnome.com/office/P...ict943892.html

Here is a link talking about printing issues with 2007 and MathML
http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1086

Same issue here
http://www.sciencemag.org/about/authors/prep/docx.dtl

templates running in compatibility mode issues
http://www.nature.com/nature/authors...ate/index.html

And my Favorite..Wikipedia explaining the issue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_Editor

we are testing your suggestion on converting to XPS first to see if it will
work for us as a work around. Ill post if we find a solution
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kdubois kdubois is offline

Thank you, Cave. I'll check out the links. Last time I checked (about a
month ago) there seemed to be nothing on the specific issue we're having.

We've not tried going to XPS yet. We've had success going to PDF from the
MS addin for "Print to PDF or XPS". But again, it is an additional step and
an additional file...

Note that it doesn't work if you generate a PDF through the Adobe Acrobat 8
ribbon tab €“ it does the same thing as printing to a printer.

Good luck!

"CaveNerd" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CaveNerd CaveNerd is offline

Just thought id post an update, have not found a solution yet.
I work for an educational institution, so this is becomming a big issue real
fast.
We have 5 seperate documents created in office 2007 by 5 seperate users, on
5 seperate workstations. 4 of the workstations are domain managed, the 5th is
a document a user created at home.
Printers and Drivers Tested:
HP LaserJet 4200 - PS/PCL5e/PCL6 drivers all fail to print equation in 2007
mode
HP LaserJet 4200 - PCL6 - Compatibility mode comes out blurry and unusable
97-2003
HP LaserJet 2100TN - PS/PCL5e/PCL6 drivers all fail to print equation in
2007 mode
HP LaserJet 2100TN - PCL6 - Compatibility mode comes out blurry and unusable
97-2003
HP LaserJet 3005 - PS/PCL5e/PCL6 drivers all fail to print equation in 2007
mode
HP LaserJet 3005 - PCL6 - Compatibility mode comes out blurry and unusable
97-2003
HP LaserJet 8150N - PS/PCL5e/PCL6 drivers all fail to print equation in 2007
mode
HP LaserJet 8150N - PS/PCL5e/PCL6 drivers all fail to print equation in
Compatibility mode
HP LaserJet 2420dn - PCL6 drivers all fail to print equation in 2007 mode
HP LaserJet 2420dn - PCL6 - Compatibility mode comes out blurry and unusable
97-2003
HP LaserJet 4200 - PCL6 - MathTypeFonts 5 installed - equation does not print
HP LaserJet 4200 - PCL6 - MathType6 30 day trial installed - equation does
not print
Microsoft Office Document Image Writer - equation does show in Image
Microsoft XPS Document Writer - equation does show in XPS preview
Im now checking on the Print to PDF.......
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CaveNerd CaveNerd is offline

Well we had to settle on the Save as PDF solution. After all the testing it
just seams as the whole equation and graphic issue is just a bugg and we will
have to wait for M$ to come up with a solution or some one finds a better
workaround.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi CaveNerd,

If possible, do you have a site/web page for a link to one of the documents where you're seeing this?

Saving a document in Word 2007 compatibility mode to change them to graphics doesn't work as well as printing when they're in font
form as you've found.