Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy Kathy is offline

Default F4 works differently in Word 2007

In previous versions, pressing F4 after typing a string of text would repeat
the whole string (as long as I hadn't paused in the middle of typing). Now,
with 2007, it repeats only the last character I typed. That renders the F4
key virtually useless for repeating text typing. Any way to make it act as it
used to?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Open a new document and type:

This is a test Press Enter

Then press F4.

Here, pressing F4 causes "This is a testparagraph mark to appear a 2nd
time. Does that not happen for you?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Kathy" wrote in message
In previous versions, pressing F4 after typing a string of text would
repeat
the whole string (as long as I hadn't paused in the middle of typing).
Now,
with 2007, it repeats only the last character I typed. That renders the F4
key virtually useless for repeating text typing. Any way to make it act as
it
used to?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy Kathy is offline

Thanks, Herb and Suzanne, for answering. I don't thnk any AutoCorrect or
AutoFormat is being applied--at least not that I can tell.

However, further testing shows me that it happens in some documents and not
in others. I opened a new document and tried Herb's test, and F4 worked fine,
repeating the whole entry. Then I tried in an existing document--both in a
table and not--and got the problem result.

From reading others of Suzanne's posts :-) I knew to check the Undo list.
Sure enough, the document where it worked showed simply "Typing" as the last
action. In the document where it didn't work, the Undo list showed each
character I had typed as a separate, discrete action.

Mind you, I do not delay between characters. I type about 130 wpm, so it
beats me why it sometimes sees a string of text as a single entity, and
sometimes not. Help? This is a feature I use a LOT, so I'll really hate to
lose it.

"Kathy" wrote in message
In previous versions, pressing F4 after typing a string of text would
repeat
the whole string (as long as I hadn't paused in the middle of typing).
Now,
with 2007, it repeats only the last character I typed. That renders the
F4
key virtually useless for repeating text typing. Any way to make it act
as it
used to?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Clearly there's something weird about that document since obviously it
should not be behaving that way. If you copy/paste some of the content into
a fresh document, what behavior do you see? It may be that the document is
corrupt or verging on corruption, so you might try Open and Repair.

"Kathy" wrote in message
Thanks, Herb and Suzanne, for answering. I don't thnk any AutoCorrect or
AutoFormat is being applied--at least not that I can tell.

However, further testing shows me that it happens in some documents and
not
in others. I opened a new document and tried Herb's test, and F4 worked
fine,
repeating the whole entry. Then I tried in an existing document--both in a
table and not--and got the problem result.

From reading others of Suzanne's posts :-) I knew to check the Undo list.

"Kathy" wrote in message
In previous versions, pressing F4 after typing a string of text would
repeat
the whole string (as long as I hadn't paused in the middle of typing).
Now,
with 2007, it repeats only the last character I typed. That renders
the
F4
key virtually useless for repeating text typing. Any way to make it
act
as it
used to?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

....and if Open and Repair doesn't restore the ability, another laundering
technique is to save the file in .rtf. Close it. Re-open the .rtf. Then save
as a doc (or docx) file. No guarantees... but I find that this laundering
technique frequently gets rid of document corruption.

--

"Kathy" wrote in message
Thanks, Herb and Suzanne, for answering. I don't thnk any AutoCorrect or
AutoFormat is being applied--at least not that I can tell.

However, further testing shows me that it happens in some documents and
not
in others. I opened a new document and tried Herb's test, and F4 worked
fine,
repeating the whole entry. Then I tried in an existing document--both in
table and not--and got the problem result.

From reading others of Suzanne's posts :-) I knew to check the Undo
list.

"Kathy" wrote in message
In previous versions, pressing F4 after typing a string of text would
repeat
the whole string (as long as I hadn't paused in the middle of
typing).
Now,
with 2007, it repeats only the last character I typed. That renders
the
F4
key virtually useless for repeating text typing. Any way to make it
act
as it
used to?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Another note: I noticed something similar was going on in one of my
documents, and I realized that the reason for it in this particular instance
was that I was selecting small bits of text and replacing them. In such
cases, Word treats the first letter as a replacement of the selected text
and the rest as Typing. If you replace just two characters, then you get an
entry in the Undo list for each of them individually.

"Kathy" wrote in message
Thanks, Herb and Suzanne, for answering. I don't thnk any AutoCorrect or
AutoFormat is being applied--at least not that I can tell.

However, further testing shows me that it happens in some documents and
not
in others. I opened a new document and tried Herb's test, and F4 worked
fine,
repeating the whole entry. Then I tried in an existing document--both in
table and not--and got the problem result.

From reading others of Suzanne's posts :-) I knew to check the Undo
list.