Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Phil Phil is offline

Default Numbered Table of Contents

I have a 10 page document which is built in nested sections.
(ie "1 Bugs", "1.1 Spiders", "1.2 Ants", "1.2.1 Fire Ants" and so on). When
I wrote the document, I used one massive numbered list for the whole thing so
that I could go back and add sections and it would automatically look after
the numbering system for me.

I have tried adding a table of contents but I can't figure out a way to get
the numbering to show up in the TOC unless I manually add it in myself, which
sort of defeats the purpose of having it all in a nice ordered list that
keeps track of itself.

Shouldn't there be an easy way to tell word to include and keep track of my
section numbering as a prefix to the section titles in the TOC as well as the
page numbers down the right hand side ?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have applied outline numbering to the headings in your document, the
numbering should show up in the TOC as well. If for some reason it doesn't,
you can equally well apply outline numbering in the same format to the TOC
styles.

"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html for details and
especially Step 3 - Customizing a TOC where you can assign different styles
(ie your numbered list) to the required TOC level.
Hope this helps
DeanH