Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pekka Numminen Pekka Numminen is offline

Default 2007: Retrieving bold lines as lines in Table of Contents

In Microsoft Word 2007, is there a way to include all bolded lines as
lines in a table of contents?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not unless you use Find and Replace to apply a heading style to all bolded
lines.

"Pekka Numminen" wrote in message
In Microsoft Word 2007, is there a way to include all bolded lines as
lines in a table of contents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Sep 19, 6:02*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Not unless you use Find and Replace to apply a heading style to all bolded
lines.

And how can you do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

CTRL+H opens the replace dialog
With the cursor in the find box type CTRL+B (bold)
Click the More button
Click into the replace with box
Format and pick a heading style
Click CTRL+B
Note that you should have
Font: Bold under the empty find box
and Syle: Heading 1, Font Bold under the empty replace box. If not click no
formatting and start again!
When you have this click replace.
Note that if only part of the line is Bold, the whole paragraph will be
formatted with the heading style, so click through one at a time.

Pekka Numminen wrote:
On Sep 19, 6:02 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Not unless you use Find and Replace to apply a heading style to all
bolded lines.

And how can you do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would suggest an alternative:

1. Search for ^p (a paragraph mark) with bold format. (This will ensure that
you get just full paragraphs that are bold.)

2. Replace with the style but remove the bold formatting from the "Replace
with" box (press Ctrl+B twice more until the Font: Bold disappears). I would
worry that the headings would be bolded whether the style includes that
format or not, or that Word would remove the bold formatting that might be
included in the style.

Pekka Numminen wrote:
On Sep 19, 6:02 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Not unless you use Find and Replace to apply a heading style to all
bolded lines.

And how can you do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I agree about (1) but with (2) the replace with is not so clear cut. If you
use a style that is already bold then the bold attribute will be reversed.
However if you use a style that is not bold, the bold attribute would be
retained.

wrote:
Not unless you use Find and Replace to apply a heading style to all
bolded lines.

And how can you do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Now I'm confused

If the style in question has the bold attribute applied as part of its
configuration, if you remove the bold attribute from the replacement box
then it will be toggled off when the style is applied, so you would not have
the stytle as designed?

wrote:
Not unless you use Find and Replace to apply a heading style to
all bolded lines.

And how can you do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If I want to make all bold lines into headings, then I either want to apply
the Heading style as designed (bold or not) or, if the heading style is not
bold and I want bold, I can modify the heading style to be bold. If the bold
attribute is applied as direct formatting (which it would be with your
Replace) then the TOC entries will also be bold.

Note that when you apply a style, bold or otherwise, to a paragraph with
direct font formatting applied to more than 50% of the text, the style is
applied as defined. Only if the direct formatting is applied to less than
50% of the text is it ever retained or toggled, and in fact, in my
experiments just now, I can't apply a bold heading style to a bold paragraph
*or* a paragraph containing a small amount of bold text in any way (either
by clicking in the paragraph or by selecting the entire paragraph) without
the style being applied as defined (no toggling involved). The same obtains
for italics when the style includes them.