Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dk dk is offline

Default Problem w/Odd Section Breaks & Pg #'s

I am working with a document based on my normal template, which has a few odd
page section breaks to bump the chapter openings to the right and be numbered
with an Odd page number.

here is my situation:

Page numbers are sequential, When pdfed all chapter openings are on the
right side, as they should be.

Page numbers are restarting at 1 for each chapter opening (1-1), When pdfed
all chapter openings are not correct, they are just as they fall (mainly on
left side).

Word is seeing the odd page numbers as Even, if you look at the bottom
status bar of your word window (for example, Page 1 Sec 2 6/15).

Anyone having this problem?

ANY and ALL comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See if enabling "Mirror margins" and/or "Different odd and even" in the Page
Setup dialog box makes a difference.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"dk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi dk,

You could overcome this by adding a field coded as follows at the end of the last paragraph in each Section:
{IF{=MOD({PAGE},2)}= 1 {QUOTE 12}}
With this coding, any Section that ends with an odd page will automatically have a new even page inserted after it. That will force
the next Section to start on a true odd page, rather than relying on a logical page break. It also means you can use 'ordinary'
Section breaks instead of odd-page ones.

Using:
{IF{=MOD({PAGE},2)}= 0 {QUOTE 12}}
inserts a new odd page if the Section ends in an even page.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above examples are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message.

--
Cheers
macropod

"dk" wrote in message ...
I am working with a document based on my normal template, which has a few odd
page section breaks to bump the chapter openings to the right and be numbered
with an Odd page number.

here is my situation:

Page numbers are sequential, When pdfed all chapter openings are on the
right side, as they should be.

Page numbers are restarting at 1 for each chapter opening (1-1), When pdfed
all chapter openings are not correct, they are just as they fall (mainly on
left side).

Word is seeing the odd page numbers as Even, if you look at the bottom
status bar of your word window (for example, Page 1 Sec 2 6/15).

Anyone having this problem?

ANY and ALL comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dk dk is offline

Hi Stefan,
Thank you for your help. I tried both and they both worked. The "Mirror
margins" worked, I never thought that would make a difference. The "Different
odd and even" in the Page Setup makes a the footers delete if they were
already setup.

So I still don't understand why the footer page numbers have anything to do
with the breaks. Especially if the page number is already Odd, but word reads
it as Even.

But thanks again for your help. I will keep your tips in mind and hopefully
I can get them to work consistently.

"dk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dk dk is offline

Hi Macropod,
I wanted to thank you for your help. I tried the fields and it worked, but I
was having trouble finding the field after I inserted it.

It seemed to me that I had to pick with field to insert based on the number
of pages at the current time. Well, what if they change? Say I used the
"{IF{=MOD({PAGE},2)}= 0 {QUOTE 12}}" and later a page is deleted or added, is
this field still correct?

dk

"dk" wrote in message ...
I am working with a document based on my normal template, which has a few odd
page section breaks to bump the chapter openings to the right and be numbered
with an Odd page number.

here is my situation:

Page numbers are sequential, When pdfed all chapter openings are on the
right side, as they should be.

Page numbers are restarting at 1 for each chapter opening (1-1), When pdfed
all chapter openings are not correct, they are just as they fall (mainly on
left side).

Word is seeing the odd page numbers as Even, if you look at the bottom
status bar of your word window (for example, Page 1 Sec 2 6/15).

Anyone having this problem?

ANY and ALL comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi dk,

If you select the last character in the last paragraph of the Section, plus the paragraph mark and press Shift-F9, the field code
will be displayed.

If you add/remove pages, the field code will recalculate next time you print the file or do a print preview. You can also force them
to recalculate manually, by selecting them as above (or via Ctrl-A) and pressing F9.

--
Cheers
macropod

"dk" wrote in message ...
I am working with a document based on my normal template, which has a few odd
page section breaks to bump the chapter openings to the right and be numbered
with an Odd page number.

here is my situation:

Page numbers are sequential, When pdfed all chapter openings are on the
right side, as they should be.

Page numbers are restarting at 1 for each chapter opening (1-1), When pdfed
all chapter openings are not correct, they are just as they fall (mainly on
left side).

Word is seeing the odd page numbers as Even, if you look at the bottom
status bar of your word window (for example, Page 1 Sec 2 6/15).

Anyone having this problem?

ANY and ALL comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dk dk is offline

Hi Macropod,

I would have never of thought of pressing Shift+F9 to show that field.
Thanks. But you had said that I could even use regular Next Page Section
Breaks with the fields and still get the Odd Section Page Break. But when I
do that it doesn't work.

I have a paragraph of text on pg 1
+ Field (to force odd page)
I insert Next Page Section Break
Page 2 (Should be page 3)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much for you help, it is hard to find good help for Word.
dk

"dk" wrote in message ...
I am working with a document based on my normal template, which has a few odd
page section breaks to bump the chapter openings to the right and be numbered
with an Odd page number.

here is my situation:

Page numbers are sequential, When pdfed all chapter openings are on the
right side, as they should be.

Page numbers are restarting at 1 for each chapter opening (1-1), When pdfed
all chapter openings are not correct, they are just as they fall (mainly on
left side).

Word is seeing the odd page numbers as Even, if you look at the bottom
status bar of your word window (for example, Page 1 Sec 2 6/15).

Anyone having this problem?

ANY and ALL comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi dk,

The field code doesn't create an Odd Page Section Break as such. What it does is to insert an odd page if the page the code starts
on is an even page (or vice-versa, depending on which rendition of the code you're using).

To see the inserted page - or remove it if subsequent edits change the starting page to an odd one - you need to update the field.
You can do this via:
.. Ctrl-A, then F9
.. Print Preview
.. Printing the document (with the 'update feilds' option checked).

--
Cheers
macropod

"dk" wrote in message ...
I am working with a document based on my normal template, which has a few odd
page section breaks to bump the chapter openings to the right and be numbered
with an Odd page number.

here is my situation:

Page numbers are sequential, When pdfed all chapter openings are on the
right side, as they should be.

Page numbers are restarting at 1 for each chapter opening (1-1), When pdfed
all chapter openings are not correct, they are just as they fall (mainly on
left side).

Word is seeing the odd page numbers as Even, if you look at the bottom
status bar of your word window (for example, Page 1 Sec 2 6/15).

Anyone having this problem?

ANY and ALL comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dk dk is offline

I have a 2pg document and I tried both codes at the bottom of pg1 with a Next
page section break to make it force the next page to 3.

No luck. I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for your patience.

"dk" wrote in message ...
I am working with a document based on my normal template, which has a few odd
page section breaks to bump the chapter openings to the right and be numbered
with an Odd page number.

here is my situation:

Page numbers are sequential, When pdfed all chapter openings are on the
right side, as they should be.

Page numbers are restarting at 1 for each chapter opening (1-1), When pdfed
all chapter openings are not correct, they are just as they fall (mainly on
left side).

Word is seeing the odd page numbers as Even, if you look at the bottom
status bar of your word window (for example, Page 1 Sec 2 6/15).

Anyone having this problem?

ANY and ALL comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi dk,

It's a bit hard for me to know what you might be doing wrong too - the field coding definitely works as described. All I can suggest
is that you re-enter it, paying careful attention to: inserting the field braces (ie '{ }') via Ctrl-F9; not confusing the field
braces with the normal brackets (ie '( )'); and preserving the spaces either side of the 0 in the code.

--
Cheers
macropod

"macropod" wrote:

Hi dk,

You could overcome this by adding a field coded as follows at the end of the last paragraph in each Section:
{IF{=MOD({PAGE},2)}= 1 {QUOTE 12}}
With this coding, any Section that ends with an odd page will automatically have a new even page inserted after it. That
will
force
the next Section to start on a true odd page, rather than relying on a logical page break. It also means you can use
'ordinary'
Section breaks instead of odd-page ones.

Using:
{IF{=MOD({PAGE},2)}= 0 {QUOTE 12}}
inserts a new odd page if the Section ends in an even page.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above examples are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy
&
paste
them from this message.

--