gapkid

Default omit blank mail merge fields

Mail merge in Word used to automatically omit printing anything (a space or
extra line) if a data field from Excel was blank. Now with the updated
versions of Word, it seems to print a blank space or line. Is this an
"improvement?" I'm trying to figure out how to have the computer/program
automatically omit this again. Any ideas besides something complicated or
unnecessarily difficult? An answer about a easily found checkbox would be
sufficient, not information about tricking Word into doing it the "old way"
by adding old toolbars, etc. And why doesn't Word provide this automatic
feature anymore? Is it becoming less user-friendly?
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use an If...then...Else field to check for data in the field that may be
blank.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"gapkid" wrote in message
Mail merge in Word used to automatically omit printing anything (a space
or
extra line) if a data field from Excel was blank. Now with the updated
versions of Word, it seems to print a blank space or line. Is this an
"improvement?" I'm trying to figure out how to have the computer/program
automatically omit this again. Any ideas besides something complicated or
unnecessarily difficult? An answer about a easily found checkbox would be
sufficient, not information about tricking Word into doing it the "old
way"
by adding old toolbars, etc. And why doesn't Word provide this automatic
feature anymore? Is it becoming less user-friendly?

Graham Mayor

Microsoft has changed the default method by which Word connects merge to its
data. The original method is still available - and using it is not a trick.
There is nothing old about the mailmerge toolbar either. It is a useful tool
that not all users are aware of. The usual methods of conditionally placing
fields and their associated spaces was the preferred method even with
earlier Word versions because it provides the user with much more control,
so you either use one of these methods or put up with the spaces.