Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djasper

Default How do I turn off the invisible grid snap in Word?

When moving drawing objects and text boxes, or resizing them the objects seem
to be snapping to an invisible grid rather than free floating. Can this be
remedied?
Am using Office 2003 (word)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

To turn off "snap to grid" temporarily, press and hold the Alt
key while dragging the object.

To turn off "snap to grid" permanently, click on View | Toolbars
to display the Drawing toolbar if it isn't already visible. On
the Drawing toolbar, click on Draw | Grid | uncheck the "Snap
objects to grid" and "Snap objects to other objects" boxes | OK.

djasper wrote:

When moving drawing objects and text boxes, or resizing them the objects seem
to be snapping to an invisible grid rather than free floating. Can this be
remedied?
Am using Office 2003 (word)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:04:02 -0700, Larryq22
wrote:

I have Word 2007. How do I turn off snap to grid for tables? Thanks.

You can try holding down the Alt key while dragging the table, which also works
for drawing shapes. However, I find that it doesn't work very well, especially
for horizontal positioning, because Word keeps trying to apply Left or Center
positioning instead of putting the table where you drop it.

The most reliable method is actually to enter numeric positions in the dialog.
When the cursor is in the table, click the Layout tab under Table Tools. At the
left, click the Properties button. In the dialog, click the Positioning button
(which is active only if the wrapping is set to Around). In the sections for
horizontal and vertical position, the dropdowns contain choices such as Left,
Center, Right, Top, Bottom and so forth, but you can type measurements in inches
(in or "), centimeters (cm), or points (pt). For example, the table can be
placed horizontally at 1.15cm relative to the margin and vertically at 18.54pt
relative to the paragraph (meaning the paragraph containing the table's anchor).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman