JohnP

Default How do I place a page number for each column on one page

When I divide a layout with columns, how do I place a page number for each
column on on page?

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/Print2Pages.htm

"JohnP" wrote in message
When I divide a layout with columns, how do I place a page number for each
column on on page?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

For the first column on the page, use the following field construction

{ = 2 * { PAGE } - 1 }

and for the second column use

{ = 2 * { PAGE } }

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions forwarded

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"JohnP" wrote in message
When I divide a layout with columns, how do I place a page number for each
column on on page?

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/Print2Pages.htm. But if you have
Word 2000 or above, a *much* simpler solution is to use the "2 pages per
sheet" option in Page Setup. This gives you two logical pages per physical
page, and you can treat them just as you would a full page, including page
numbers, margins, page borders, etc.

news

"JohnP" wrote in message
When I divide a layout with columns, how do I place a page number for

each
column on on page?

Krishna

Thanks for the answer, but it raised another question.

When I asked for "2 pages per sheet", I was immediately told that the
"Settings I chose for left & right margins, column spacing, ... are too large
for the page width ...".

One normally doesn't specify the page width. The margisn specified
subtracted from the page size determine the page width. Right?

It is obvious that I am missing something. I have had text running to 100+
pages in two columns in landscape mode, and until now printed the page
numbers in a separate pass of the pages, after the text was printed.
Obviously this is not a preferred solution.

In thi ssituation, let's say I specify 1/2" all around the sheet, and an
inch in between the two columns. When I go to Page Setup and ask for 2 pages
per sheet,

1) should I leave the text in two columns or one?
2) how should the margins be changed, so that when I fold the sheet, I
do have 1/2" all around the text?

Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/Print2Pages.htm. But if you have
Word 2000 or above, a *much* simpler solution is to use the "2 pages per
sheet" option in Page Setup. This gives you two logical pages per physical
page, and you can treat them just as you would a full page, including page
numbers, margins, page borders, etc.

news

"JohnP" wrote in message
When I divide a layout with columns, how do I place a page number for

each
column on on page?

Before selecting "2 pages per sheet," Ctrl+A to select the entire document,
then go to Format | Columns and click on the picture marked One. This will
check the "Equal column width" box. It is the absence of this setting that
causes the error message you experienced.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/Print2Pages.htm. But if you

have
Word 2000 or above, a *much* simpler solution is to use the "2 pages per
sheet" option in Page Setup. This gives you two logical pages per

physical
page, and you can treat them just as you would a full page, including

page
numbers, margins, page borders, etc.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.