scottkinsey

Default table caption numbering

When you insert a table caption, the Numbering option allows you to link the
caption to a Heading style. For most of my document, I linked the table
captions to Heading 3, so that table captions look like this: Table 3.2.1-1
- Table Title.

But in some sections, the first table appears within a higher Heading. For
instance, in Section 5, I have a table, but the caption is: Table 4.2.1-1 -
Table Title, instead of: Table 5.1-1 - Table Title. If I insert a new
caption linked to Heading 1, it modifies all of the tables instead of just
the table I'm working on.

Does anyone know how to create table captions that can be linked to
different Heading styles in different document sections ?
Stefan Blom

Captions that include heading numbering always reference a *specific*
heading level; this is by design. Therefore, your best choice is to
modify your numbering so that it references the top-level heading;
then you won't have a problem.

If you insist on restarting numbering based on different heading
levels for different parts of the document, there are some methods to
accomplish this. However, these methods require more or less manual
work. You have to decide if you find it to be worth the effort!

One way is to avoid using the caption dialog box, and instead manually
insert the required STYLEREF fields to reference the desired heading
level. Of course, this would be difficult to maintain, if you ever
need to rearrange chapters.

There is a different approach. It assumes that your only need for
captions is for tables, because it cannot produce more than a single
(outline) numbering scheme. What I'm thinking about is using the
AUTONUMLGL field for heading and table numbering. This field numbers
headings according to their levels, and non-headings are numbered at a
level below the preceding heading.

You can read more about STYLEREF and AUTONUMLGL fields in Word Help.
Of course, you can come back with questions, if necessary.

--
Stefan Blom