Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jerry H

Default Cell Selection in Word 2003 Tables

What do I change or reset to be able to see the arrow to select a cell in a
table?When I try to select a cell in a table in Word, I do not get the arrow
for the cell. I get a vertical bar with bars to the right that change as I
move around in the cell (formatting display I guess). I can select entire
rows and/or columns.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SmVycnkgSA==?=,

What do I change or reset to be able to see the arrow to select a cell in a
table?When I try to select a cell in a table in Word, I do not get the arrow
for the cell. I get a vertical bar with bars to the right that change as I
move around in the cell (formatting display I guess). I can select entire
rows and/or columns.

I'm guessing you've formatted the table to position freely on the page and you
have Word 2002, possibly with no Service packs installed? Upgrade your
installation or make sure the table is positioned with NO text wrapping
(Table/Table properties).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jerry H

That wasn't the answer, but it was a clue. When I open a Word document and
create a table, things work fine. The table in question was copied from an
original source and pasted into a new document and apparently it brought its
formatting with it. When I did a special paste of text only, things worked.

Since I am using Word 2003 and XP SP2, I think the formatting I inherited
was the problem. I can't seem to "turn it off," but that is okay for what I
need now. I know I don't have a systemic problem.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SmVycnkgSA==?=,

What do I change or reset to be able to see the arrow to select a cell in a
table?When I try to select a cell in a table in Word, I do not get the arrow
for the cell. I get a vertical bar with bars to the right that change as I
move around in the cell (formatting display I guess). I can select entire
rows and/or columns.

I'm guessing you've formatted the table to position freely on the page and you
have Word 2002, possibly with no Service packs installed? Upgrade your
installation or make sure the table is positioned with NO text wrapping
(Table/Table properties).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Word 2003: Changing the increase/decrease rate of the indent icon? hayakaw1 Microsoft Word Help 11 December 22nd 08 09:58 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Is there a way to "join" tables in Word 2003? Julian Turner Tables 3 October 28th 04 06:51 PM