Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joel

Default Favorites

I need the Favorites icon that appears in MS Word 97 that no longer appear in
MS Word 2003. I need it for MS Word 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier

You will want to modify the My Places bar. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282087 for step by step
instructions.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"Joel" wrote in message
I need the Favorites icon that appears in MS Word 97 that no longer
appear in
MS Word 2003. I need it for MS Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Check out the Work menu. Or do you really want to use Word to browse the
Internet?
http://addbalance.com/word/workmenu.htm.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Joel" wrote in message
I need the Favorites icon that appears in MS Word 97 that no longer appear
in
MS Word 2003. I need it for MS Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

I don't understand what you want here.

"Favorites" is on the Web Toolbar in Word 2003 as well as Word 97. Are you
talking about something else?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Joel" wrote in message
I need the Favorites icon that appears in MS Word 97 that no longer

appear
in
MS Word 2003. I need it for MS Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

If you are referring to setting some Word files/folders as favorites in Word
2003, it appears that the powers-that-be in Redmond have decided we don't
need that any more. We are supposed to enjoy the My Places thingie. My
Places (actually, they aren't mine: they would be yours, but we are stuck
with Microsoft lingo) is actually fine for a few bookmarks, particularly if
they don't change too much. But no more Word favorites. I am sure somebody
out in Redmond could explain why we don't need something we have relied on
for a long time, if you could actually ask somebody. Maybe that's why the
Crabby Office lady is so crabby these days.

I have worked around this by creating a "Place" for Word bookmarks. Then
using Windows Explorer I find the files/folders I want to bookmark and mark
them thusly in Win Explorer. It's pretty klutzy, but until somebody shows
me a better way, it is the only way I can think of to still use Word
bookmarks..

"Joel" wrote in message
I need the Favorites icon that appears in MS Word 97 that no longer appear
in
MS Word 2003. I need it for MS Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can still put shortcuts to anything you like in your Favorites folder
and put the Favorites folder on your Places bar. The only thing that is
missing is the "Add to Favorites" button in the dialog.

"Joel" wrote in message
I need the Favorites icon that appears in MS Word 97 that no longer

appear
in
MS Word 2003. I need it for MS Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clairemere

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, as I see I'm not the only one
upset that Favorites has been messed with in Office 2003. I figured out how
to add my Favorites folder to My Places but when I follow your instructions
and try to Add to Favorites from the Web Tool Bar in Word (trying to add a
Word document to my Favorites list), it will only let me save it as a url,
which obviously does not work. I cannot get a Word file to save to my
Favorites.

How about an Office 2003 update that gives us Favorites back like it used to
be?

"Joel" wrote in message
I need the Favorites icon that appears in MS Word 97 that no longer

appear
in
MS Word 2003. I need it for MS Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

One way would be to add a shortcut to your Favorites folder to the Windows
Send To folder. Then you can create a shortcut to your document and use Send
To to send it to the Favorites folder. I'll grant you there is no really
simple way to do this. Are you already aware of the Work menu
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm)? This might go a long way
toward providing the functionality you need.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can still put shortcuts to anything you like in your Favorites

folder
and put the Favorites folder on your Places bar. The only thing that is
missing is the "Add to Favorites" button in the dialog.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Joel" wrote in message
I need the Favorites icon that appears in MS Word 97 that no longer

appear
in
MS Word 2003. I need it for MS Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clairemere

What a pain! I don't understand why they would get rid of Favorites as it
before Office 2003. It was extremely useful. Chalk that one up to
stupidity. Thank you for your assistance.

"Joel" wrote in message
I need the Favorites icon that appears in MS Word 97 that no longer
appear
in
MS Word 2003. I need it for MS Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A lot of users complained about Favorites because it was so unselective. I
use Favorites only for Web sites, but if I were using it for documents as
well, I'd never be able to find anything.

"Joel" wrote in message
I need the Favorites icon that appears in MS Word 97 that no

longer
appear
in
MS Word 2003. I need it for MS Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Agreed - the Places bar is far more versatile
http://www.gmayor.com/customize_the_word_places_bar.htm

"Joel" wrote in message
I need the Favorites icon that appears in MS Word 97 that no
longer appear in
MS Word 2003. I need it for MS Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think it's not Favorites per se that users miss but rather the ability to
select a file and, with one click (on the "Add to Favorites" button), add a
shortcut to it in the Favorites folder.