Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
akkrug

Default Checking spelling in foreign languages (i.e. Spanish)

My spell checker isn't giving me the option to automatically detect language
(it is grayed out). I have checked all of the versions of Spanish available
and my document has nothing but spelling errors. IT recently re-installed
Word on my pc. Any ideas on how to get the spell-checker to work for foreign
languages?

Thanks!

Ken K. - 2191
--
akkrug
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YWtrcnVn?=,

My spell checker isn't giving me the option to automatically detect language
(it is grayed out). I have checked all of the versions of Spanish available
and my document has nothing but spelling errors. IT recently re-installed
Word on my pc. Any ideas on how to get the spell-checker to work for foreign
languages?

It sounds as if the spell check (for Spanish, at any rate) may not be installed.
Certainly, it's not activated.

Check in START/Programs/Microsoft Office/Microsoft Office tools for an entry
with "Language Settings" in the name. If you find it, put Spanish in the list of
active languages.

Select some Spanish text in a document, then go to Tools/Language/Set language
and choose Spanish.

Now press F7. What happens?

If spell check runs, we're half way there. If you get an error message, the
Spanish tools probably aren't installed and you'll need to talk to IT. Assuming
you're using an English version of Word 2000 or later, the tools are part of the
Office package (IOW, the company won't have to purchase anything, just install
it).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
akkrug

Thanks Cindy. The checker is working, but it highlighted most of the 1st
paragraph as incorrectly spelled and I'm sure some of it isn't. Anyway, at
least the Spanish checker is running now!

Thanks again for the help.

Ken K. - 2191
--
akkrug

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?YWtrcnVn?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YWtrcnVn?=,

The checker is working, but it highlighted most of the 1st
paragraph as incorrectly spelled and I'm sure some of it isn't.

In that case, the paragraph may be formatted with the incorrect
language. If you click in a Word you're fairly sure is
misspelled, then check in Tools/Language/Set language, is it the
language you expect?

If not, go back out, select the entire paragraph, then set the
language it should be.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8
2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)