Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
yanne yanne is offline

Default How to sort your endotes alphabetically?

I have a big document, with a lot of bibliographic references put in endotes.
I would like to sort the endnotes list alphabetically (as is common for
bibliographic references), but I don't know how. Also, the refernces in the
text should stay the same, even if reference number "1" will now no longer be
the first item in the alphabetically sorted endote list at teh end of my
document.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Endnotes and bibliographic references are not the same thing. Endnotes, like
footnotes, are always in the order of occurrence within the document.
Otherwise, apart from anything else, how on earth would the user find any
given reference? They are looking up the number they saw in the text, and
manually have to search your reference list to find it. The whole point of
sorting is to make things easy for the reader.

Bibliographic references should be entered in the text in a form that
matches they way they appear in the bibliographic list, eg "[Chomsky, 1959]"
or whatever format is given in the style guide you're using.