Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
soccerman58 soccerman58 is offline

Default How can I reset all my headings to original format

Hi
I am using Word 2003, and after everyone has "improved" all the settings, I
have a basically useless setup in terms of numbering. I have headings like "1
Heading 2 Num" and "2.2.1.2 Heading 4"

Can I just kill everything and go back to how it was when it first came out
of the box before everyone got to "improving" it all?

Also, I have about 6 million headings that I can't or don't use, like ASA
Text 16 through ASA Text 42. Can I just do a Ctrl select, sleect, select,
select, BAMMMM and dump all the crap?
Thanks
Phil
--
Phil M
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

First, make sure these are all actually styles and not just "formatting." On
the Edit tab of Tools | Options, clear the check box for "Keep track of
formatting." If you no longer see these "styles," that should help.

For styles that actually are styles, in the Styles and Formatting task pane,
choose the Custom... option for Show, which will open the Format Settings
dialog. Select "User-defined styles." You'll have to delete these styles one
by one, but at least you can delete them if they really are custom styles
(for some reason I see Headings 1-3 in this list, and I know they can't be
deleted). You can also reset built-in styles to their default Normal.dot
formatting by "deleting" them from the "All styles" list. The only ones that
can't be "deleted" are Headings 1-3, Normal, and Default Paragraph Font.

As for numbering, go to Format | Bullets and Numbering and go through all
the tabs, selecting each pane in turn and clicking Reset if it is available.
This will not affect the numbering of styles that are linked to
outline-numbered lists in the proper way.

"soccerman58" wrote in message
Hi
I am using Word 2003, and after everyone has "improved" all the settings,

have a basically useless setup in terms of numbering. I have headings like

"1
Heading 2 Num" and "2.2.1.2 Heading 4"

Can I just kill everything and go back to how it was when it first came

out
of the box before everyone got to "improving" it all?

Also, I have about 6 million headings that I can't or don't use, like ASA
Text 16 through ASA Text 42. Can I just do a Ctrl select, sleect, select,
select, BAMMMM and dump all the crap?
Thanks
Phil
--
Phil M

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Soccerman58:

I use Word 2000 so some commands may differ slightly.

You seem to be talking about two different things when you talk about your
"headings": autonumbering and styles.

The settings for these are most likely stored in a template called
Normal.dot. For a quick-fix attempt, find Normal.dot and delete it. (If you'd
rather, you can save a backup copy by simply renaming it.) You may have to
change your Windows Explorer settings (Tools Options View) to show hidden
files and folders and to show (not hide) protected operating system files.
Wherever you find a Normal.dot (and there may be two or more locations)
delete or rename it. When you restart Word, it will create a new, out-of-the
box Normal.dot. This may restore the settings you desire.

Note that changing this template will affect only new documents. Fixing
existing documents requires that you open the documents and work on them
directly.

In a document, you can delete any style you like except the built-in Normal,
and Heading 1 - 9 styles. Using Format Style you can only delete them one
at a time. However if you click the Organizer button, you can use Shift+Click
or Ctrl+Click to select and delete groups of styles.

You can reset the numbering schemes in your Gallery by clicking Format
Bullets and Numbering, selecting any of the gallery slots, then clicking the
Reset button.

Restoring the outline numbering on your Heading styles is a little more
difficult. Try clicking Format Style, select Heading 1, click Modify
Format Numbering, then click None. Repeat this operation for all Headings 2
through 9 to make sure no Heading style has any numbering applied to it.

If you don't need autonumbering on your headings, you can call it quits here.

Otherwise, select just Heading 1, click Modify Format Numbering
Outline Numbered, and select one of the Reset gallery slots that shows a
numbering scheme with Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3 in the picture.
Click Apply then close all the dialog boxes. Don't mess with the numbering by
editing the definitions of Heading 2 through Heading 9. Only use Heading 1 to
dink with the numbering.

Please read this when you can:

http://shaunakelly.com/word/numberin...Numbering.html

Bear