Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ariana ariana is offline

Default Numbered table

I am trying to create a document as follows:

Heading (in Centre of page)

I then want to insert a table for members of a club to sign the printed
document, i.e.

No. Name No. Name
1. 13.
2. 14. (to 24)
3.
4. (to 12)

I then have to create the second page with the numbers 25-48.

I have made a Seq number but when I try to get the 13 into the second No.,
(3rd column), it wont' work. I have tried inserting a continuous section
break and formatting the columns 2 each side but I can't get this to work.
When I get to 12. and insert a column break, I can't get to the top of the
next column.

Not sure I've made it very clear but perhaps someone can point me in the
right direction. I have tried the Help files but I get info about
Compatibility and don't know if that is relevant.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Summer Summer is offline

Word 2003 (or prior) otherwise usual tools on Ribbon 2007

NB: SEQ's should work sane way - I didn't check.

On active document template screen with autonumbering outline level 1 (say)
set with no tab character. Then insert a 2 column 2 row table.
Mark Row1 Header Row (select row and menu Table Header Row)
Press ALT 1 (it should play your Outline Level 1 numbering style)
Number Name
1. Tab Tab (new rows will number automatically on creation (11 times) or
copy/paste
2.
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
Type some names as long as you need so columns are correct size)
Then Tables
Table Properties
Uncheck "Resize automatically"

You now have a 2column table/1 hdr row/1.-12 1st column Names 2nd col almost
halfway across your page(width but a little less) (you are going to paste
the table side x side (read on):

Go to menu Table Properties
Alignment Left
Around
Select your 2 column table with auto Outline level numbering
Copy table
Click inside paragraph return (pilcrow) on right side of 1st table
CTRL V paste table

You now have 2 separate tables 1-12 and 13-24

CTRL A (SELECT all) or just select both tables (side x side)
CTRL C (copy)
CTRL End (goto end of page insert next page or page break or use page break
before
CTRL V (paste)

Now you have 25-36 and 37-??

Hope this helps.

"ariana" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

1. Press Enter twice after your centered heading to insert two empty
paragraphs.

2. Select the first of the two paragraphs and go to Format | Columns and
select Two or 2.

3. In the first column, insert a two-column table with as many rows as
desired (you can always add more later)

4. Select the first column and click on the Numbering button; select the
first cell and turn off the numbering so that the heading row isn't
numbered.

5. Enter your headings in row 1 and mark the row as a heading row.

6. If the table doesn't break to the next column at row 13 (assuming row 1
for the heading row), you can select rows 14-? and format them as "Keep with
next" to force them to the next column. Alternatively, set an exact row
height that allows for exactly 13 rows on the page (your headings will be
repeated in the second column).

7. Continue to add rows to the table till it flows to the next page and
continue from there.

"ariana" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Glad I could help.

[...]