Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kat Kat is offline

Default Table of Contents - Page Numbers

When I open the document the TOC has all the same number for the page numbers
for all the sections. I can update the page numbers and it correctly changes
the numbers. Once I save and close the document - if I send it to another
person it reverts back to the same number for all page numbers and you have
to update the page numbers again. How do I keep the page numbers correct and
send the document to others with the correct page numbers.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is a common result of opening a document in Reading Layout view. There
are three ways to avoid this, but in no case is there anything you can do
beyond making recommendations to the recipient:

1. You can suggest that the recipient disable Reading Layout view (Tools |
Options | General).

2. Since Reading Layout view is the default only for documents opened
directly from an attachment, you can suggest that the recipient first save
the document to the HD and open it from there rather than open the
attachment directly.

3. You can suggest that the recipient, after switching from Reading Layout
view to another view, update the TOC (F9).

"Kat" wrote in message
When I open the document the TOC has all the same number for the page

numbers
for all the sections. I can update the page numbers and it correctly

changes
the numbers. Once I save and close the document - if I send it to another
person it reverts back to the same number for all page numbers and you

have
to update the page numbers again. How do I keep the page numbers correct

and
send the document to others with the correct page numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kat Kat is offline

Thank you - I have been spending many hours reformating and redoing the TOC.
I am also glad to know how to disable the reading layout view - and that is
exactly what happens when you open the document - it goes to reading layout
and then I switch to print layout and the problem is there and then I update
the TOC. I appreciate your time and answer to a frustrating problem.

Kat

"Kat" wrote in message
When I open the document the TOC has all the same number for the page

numbers
for all the sections. I can update the page numbers and it correctly

changes
the numbers. Once I save and close the document - if I send it to another
person it reverts back to the same number for all page numbers and you

have
to update the page numbers again. How do I keep the page numbers correct

and
send the document to others with the correct page numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad I could help. Just knowing how to disable Reading Layout view is a boon
to many people, which is why it is my first suggestion: I think many
recipients would be grateful for the information!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a common result of opening a document in Reading Layout view.

There
are three ways to avoid this, but in no case is there anything you can

do
beyond making recommendations to the recipient:

1. You can suggest that the recipient disable Reading Layout view (Tools

Options | General).

2. Since Reading Layout view is the default only for documents opened
directly from an attachment, you can suggest that the recipient first

save
the document to the HD and open it from there rather than open the
attachment directly.

3. You can suggest that the recipient, after switching from Reading

Layout
view to another view, update the TOC (F9).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.