Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
harperma harperma is offline

Default word 2007 - How 2 select pictures & text boxes at the same time.

Hi All.

Stupid new user here needs a little help.....

I can't seem to select a text box and image / picture at the same time for
re-positioning in my document. I can move only text boxes or pictures at the
same time. I have tried all the variations of the 'select' command but still
no joy.

Can anyone help stupid (

Many thanks
MARK.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Mark,

As Suzanne mentioned, if the items are set as 'Inline with text' wrapping then they are part of the text run and are treated as text
for moving, copying and pasting. If they're wrapped, then due to changes in the way Office 2007 documents are managed, in Word 2007
you are no longer able to group Autoshapes with Objects, and Pictures are objects if you're working in regular 'Word 2007 mode'.
You can do it with a couple of workarounds.

Microsoft Office 2007 introduced a new graphics engine, the MS Office Art, engine (or Escher v2). It is what Excel and Powerpoint
use, pretty much throughout, but Word uses parts of Escher2 and still uses, for backwards compatibility the Office
Graphics/Drawing/Interface engine (Escher v1).

Inserted Pictures, either individually or multi selected/groups are handled internally as
'Microsoft Office[2007] Graphic Objects' [Escher 2] while
autoshapes are
'MS Office[legacy] Drawing Objects' 'Escher 1]'

The two types don't mix and they can't be grouped together.

However, you can create a Word 2003 'island' within a Word 2007 page by using
Insert Tab=Shape=New Drawing Canvas

Items inserted into the canvas have the same Word 2003 'abilities' to tie together so you can keep your items together in a canvas,
or if you drag a picture out of a canvas into a document it should keep its 2003 properties (blue sizing handles rather than 2007's
white pearl ones).

Note that if you insert the Same picture into a document

Insert=Picture

then use

Insert=Shapes=New Drawing Canvas
and then 'Insert=Picture'
into the canvas and drag it off to be next to the first picture that the Ribbon choices under 'Picture Tools=Format' are different.

One reflects the Word 2007 tools, the other the Word 2003 tools.

Rather than use the drawing canvas you can also use

Office Button=Save As

and save as a Word 97-2003 document type while you work on the graphic and then use

Office Button=Convert

(a menu choice that only appears when it's an old style Word document) to restore the ability to use the Word 2007 (Escher 2)
graphics modelling features such as picture styles.

Note that this can, however, impact other Word 2007 features that you may have in your document.

I added te New Drawing Canvas choice to my Quick Access toolbar to be able to use the canvas then delete it after pulling in the
content I want

=============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
harperma harperma is offline

Default word 2007 - How 2 select pictures & text boxes at the same tim

Hi Suzanne & Bob,

First off, Many thanks for you quick response.

Just to let you know that i found Bobs' work around was the solution i
needed. Inserting a canvas then the picture and dragging it off the canvas
allows me to select both the text box and picture at the same time and move
then in one go. This helps maintain alighment of the various text and
pictures.

Again.
Thanks very much and have a good day.
Mark )