Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sidd Sidd is offline

Default Uninstall and reinstall of Microsoft office 2003 - issues

Hello Everyone,

I am facing problems with the REGISTERED version of Microsoft office 2003
(Student Edition) installed on Windows Vista (32 bit).

Can I uninstall the software on the whole and reinstall it ?
I am sure I will have to re-register the product again... Will the
re-registration be treated as a additional license ?

Please let me know the process on how could I re-install the software
without consuming an additional license.

Regards,
Sidd

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sidd Sidd is offline

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your response...

Can I do an Uninstall first and then reinstall the same, without penalty ?
or do I need to use the reinstall option provided with the installation CD ?

I tried the reinstall option of the installation CD, but ended without luck.

The problem I face is with the Microsoft Word, I tried the 'open with'
option to open some word documents... but 'Winword.exe' never gets listed in
the list of recommended programs, nor does it open the word document. The
only way I can open a word document is to run 'Winword.exe' and then click
fileopen and then select the document.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Sidd

Sidd wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am facing problems with the REGISTERED version of Microsoft office
2003 (Student Edition) installed on Windows Vista (32 bit).

Can I uninstall the software on the whole and reinstall it ?
I am sure I will have to re-register the product again... Will the
re-registration be treated as a additional license ?

Please let me know the process on how could I re-install the software
without consuming an additional license.

Regards,
Sidd

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Yes you can do this, but if repairing the installation didn't fix the
problem, neither will reinstalling.

First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that doesn't
fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click and choose Open
with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to
always open with this application.

Sidd wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am facing problems with the REGISTERED version of Microsoft office
2003 (Student Edition) installed on Windows Vista (32 bit).

Can I uninstall the software on the whole and reinstall it ?
I am sure I will have to re-register the product again... Will the
re-registration be treated as a additional license ?

Please let me know the process on how could I re-install the
software without consuming an additional license.

Regards,
Sidd

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In addition to what Graham has said, note that the "reregistration"
described in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm has
nothing to do with the license; it merely reestablishes Word's file
associations in the Windows Registry. Moreover, it is never necessary to
reregister Word (in the license sense), but it is sometimes necessary (upon
reinstallation) to reactivate it. Registration (which is not required) just
provides Microsoft information to link your name and address details with
the license for your product, which makes it easier for you to get tech
support but has no bearing on the operation of the software on your
computer.

?