Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
barjas barjas is offline

Default Mail merge display results

I am trying to merge some calculations from Excel into my Word document. I
am not able to get the numbers to display properly, ie. percentages as
percentages and dollars as dollars and not just large number strings. I had
found a solution that worked so I know it's possible, but I forgot what it
was and have not been able to find the solution again. Any suggestions are
wonderfully appreciated, I have been researching this for many many hours.
--
Barjas
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Typically you can either use formatting "switches" in your Word fields - see
Graham Mayor's page at http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm for
that. (Incidentaly, this same reply has been provided about 4 times inth
last couple of hours - it really helps if you can look through recent posts
in these groups because the answer is often there).

Or, if you only have ANSI characters inyour Excel workbook and you only need
to connect to the first sheet in the book, you can change the "connection
method" to use DDE rather than the default in Word 2002 and later, which is
OLE DB. To do thatin Word 2002/2003, go to Word Tools|Options|General, check
Confirm Conversions at open, go through the connection process again and
select the DDE option when offered. For Word 2007, you should find a similar
option near the bottom of Word-Office button-Word options-Advanced. In
that case, you may need to check "Show All" in the "COnfirm Data Source"
dialog if the file is a .xlsx or .xslm format file.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"barjas" wrote in message
I am trying to merge some calculations from Excel into my Word document. I
am not able to get the numbers to display properly, ie. percentages as
percentages and dollars as dollars and not just large number strings. I
had
found a solution that worked so I know it's possible, but I forgot what it
was and have not been able to find the solution again. Any suggestions
are
wonderfully appreciated, I have been researching this for many many hours.
--
Barjas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
barjas barjas is offline

--
Barjas

"barjas" wrote in message
I am trying to merge some calculations from Excel into my Word document. I
am not able to get the numbers to display properly, ie. percentages as
percentages and dollars as dollars and not just large number strings. I
had
found a solution that worked so I know it's possible, but I forgot what it
was and have not been able to find the solution again. Any suggestions
are
wonderfully appreciated, I have been researching this for many many hours.
--
Barjas

I apologize for not better understanding how to find the items I have been looking for, I know it can be frustrating trying to help people who don't understand the system. I am trying to learn as quickly as possible. I am using Word 2007 and Excel 2007, the data was saved in Excel 2003 format though. When I created the merge I stumbled onto the solution and was able to make it work, but I just can't seem to repeat it. I have tried to make the switch option work as well but I am just having no success.

I found an option that displayed the merged data the same as it was shown in
the source, and would like to use that option again, it worked perfectly. I
think that is what you were explaining in the second paragraph of your
response, but I'm afraid I am just not finding what you suggest.
I did as you suggested and looked at the other posts, but I didn't see one
that pertained to the 2007 programs.
Thank you for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
barjas barjas is offline

Just as I posted my last response I realized that I had merged my data into
another Excel workbook and had saved it in 2007 format. I went back and
saved it in 2003 format and that solved all my problems. I don't know why
the newer version isn't working but this did.
Thank you so much for your help!
Jason
--
Barjas