Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Blessedx3 Blessedx3 is offline

Default outline won't number after hitting "return"

I have set up the document per Shauna Kelly's instructions, but can't figure
out what I've done wrong.

Heading 1 is fine, but when I hit return, the style returns to "normal" on
the second line and doesn't number. I cannot figure out what I'm doing
wrong.

Sorry if the answer is really obvious, but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Heading styles, by default, have the "Style for following paragraph" (in the
Modify Style dialog box) set to Normal. You can change as you wish.

Also, since you are using heading styles for an outline, note that you
should turn off "Keep with next" for those styles (which is enabled by
default for the headings); otherwise, there will be problems with page
breaks, as Word is "chasing" paragraphs, trying to keep them on the same
page. Again, use the Modify Style dialog box; you'll find the option if you
click Format, Paragraph.

To open the Modify Style dialog box, right-click the style name in the
Styles and Formatting pane (Word 2003) or in the Styles pane (Word 2007) and
choose Modify from the context menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP