Woody Splawn

Default WORD and computer memory issues

I don't know where else to post the following message. If there is a better
place please inform me.

I have a Pentium 2.6 GHZ machine with a half gig of memory. I keep two or
three WORD documents open all the time in Outline mode. One document is 76
pages long, the other 21. The third 5 pages long. They each have many
links to other WORD files (if that makes any difference). I find that the
performance monitor says I am using over 50% of my CPU when any of these
documents are open. I am a Microsoft VB.net developer and when VB.net is
open along with the WORD files, sometimes my machine bogs down.

It is not clear to me if adding another half gig or ram would be of
particular help or not. If so, that is an option but performance monitor
indicates my memory use is only at about 256 K. I find that if the WORD
files are minimized, the CPU usage drops way down. It is inconvenient,
however, to have to manually minimize them when I alt-tab to various
windows. Maybe there is a switch in WORD that will reduce them to an icon
automatically when you tab to something else.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.