Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules Jules is offline

Default merge columns in a table

Is there a way to merge only the columns in a table without changing the rows?

I have a table that consists of 3 columns and a number of rows. For each
row I want to merge the 2nd and 3rd columns. The only thing I can find is
merge cells which merges the highlighted columns and rows into one cell.

If there is a way to merge only the columns, please let me know.
thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A macro should do it

Sub MergeCols2_3()
Dim cTable As Table
Dim oRng As Range
Set cTable = ActiveDocument.Tables(1)
For i = 1 To cTable.Rows.Count
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range _
(start:=cTable.Cell(i, 2).Range.start, _
End:=cTable.Cell(i, 3).Range.End)
oRng.Cells.Merge
Next i
End Sub

Jules wrote:
Is there a way to merge only the columns in a table without changing
the rows?

I have a table that consists of 3 columns and a number of rows. For
each
row I want to merge the 2nd and 3rd columns. The only thing I can
find is merge cells which merges the highlighted columns and rows
into one cell.

If there is a way to merge only the columns, please let me know.
thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article ,
says...
A macro should do it

Sub MergeCols2_3()
Dim cTable As Table
Dim oRng As Range
Set cTable = ActiveDocument.Tables(1)
For i = 1 To cTable.Rows.Count
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range _
(start:=cTable.Cell(i, 2).Range.start, _
End:=cTable.Cell(i, 3).Range.End)
oRng.Cells.Merge
Next i
End Sub

Or, if the table does not have too many rows, it might be easier to
merge cells for each row.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is one of the few cases where the drawing tools on the Tables and
Borders toolbar come in handy. I don't advise drawing tables with the
pencil, but you can use the eraser to erase the boundary between columns
without combining the rows. This requires a little trial and error, but it's
the only way I know of (short of a macro) to do this in recent versions of
Word.

"Jules" wrote in message
Is there a way to merge only the columns in a table without changing the
rows?

I have a table that consists of 3 columns and a number of rows. For each
row I want to merge the 2nd and 3rd columns. The only thing I can find is
merge cells which merges the highlighted columns and rows into one cell.

If there is a way to merge only the columns, please let me know.
thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules Jules is offline

Thanks everyone. Went with Suzanne's eraser idea as this seems to suit our
purposes most. Wow, what a handy little tool. Thank you.

"Jules" wrote in message
Is there a way to merge only the columns in a table without changing the
rows?

I have a table that consists of 3 columns and a number of rows. For each
row I want to merge the 2nd and 3rd columns. The only thing I can find is
merge cells which merges the highlighted columns and rows into one cell.

If there is a way to merge only the columns, please let me know.
thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank goodness for it, too. I don't know what the developers were thinking
when they changed the behavior of merging columns to merge them all into one
big cell. Too much Mountain Dew, I guess (or not enough).