Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Islandtop Islandtop is offline

Default How do I remove blank lines in mail merge labels in Word 2003

I have 2 word tables which act as databases with 2 Word files which are
mailmerge labels. In one everything works fine when I mail merge the data to
the labels in the other I get blank lines on the labels where address fields
are empty in the database and the process does not close up the data. In
previous version of Word this was very simple in 2003 it appears to be
impossible to correct.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Is the difference related to the data source files or the mailmerge main
documents. In other words, does blank line suppression work with one data
source but not the other? Or does it work with one label document but not
the other? Are you inserting the fields in a different way in each label
document (e.g. individual fields v. ADDRESSBLOCK) ?

One possibility: when you use a Word table as a data source, fields that
contain spaces are not regarded as blank and "empty" lines containing them
will not be suppressed. I can't check whether that changed between Word
97/2000 and 2003 but it's possible that it did.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Islandtop" wrote in message
I have 2 word tables which act as databases with 2 Word files which are
mailmerge labels. In one everything works fine when I mail merge the data
the labels in the other I get blank lines on the labels where address
fields
are empty in the database and the process does not close up the data. In
previous version of Word this was very simple in 2003 it appears to be
impossible to correct.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Islandtop Islandtop is offline

Thank you
I forgot the basics, which can sometime happen when you are trying to assist
other people. there a few carriage returns and a couple of spaces in my
mothers data and that was what caused it.
I consider myself relatively good at mailmerge and felt I had conquered the
cahnges introduced in Office 2003 but I was too certain that it was something
clever when it was something simple.
My faith is restored