Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Wayne[_3_] Wayne[_3_] is offline

Default Mail Merge impediments...

I have an Access program (MIDAS) that creates a mail merge database table
(tblMailMerge). There is a control on an Access form that Shells out to a
Word document that reads the data base tabke and creates a letter(s) with
the merged data. In Word v06 this works smoothly with the Word document(s)
appearing immediately after being called from the Access program. In Word
2003 however, there are two message boxes that must be "clicked" before the
Word merge document finally appears. The first is"

Opening the document will run the following command:
Select * from tblMailMerge
Data from the database will be placed in the document.
Do you want to continue?

Well of course I want to continue!
The second is:

Select Data Source
+New Data Source .odc
+New SQL Data Source .odc
MidasDb2 tblMailMerge.odc

Of course the third option is the one to select. Why do I get this when it
is already a part of the merge definition in the Word document?

Is there any way I can avoid these interferences or must I revert to Word
v06 to get smooth operation?

Thanks...
-Wayne

*The etimology of programming: "There is always one more bug."

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

For the SQL issue, see the following Knowledge Base article:

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a
Word Document - 825765 at:

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

If the second problem still occurs, check under ToolsOptionsGeneral in
Word to see if there is a check mark against the "Confirm conversions at
open" item. If so, remove it and try again.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Wayne[_4_] Wayne[_4_] is offline

Thanks Doug -- I'll make the register db changes as suggested.
Solved the .odc specification problem simply by respecifying the Access
merge table.
--Wayne