Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Default Font Change

Using Office 2007, when I do a mail merge using Excel as the data source. The items I have in italics in Excel are removed once the merge is complete in Word. Is there as setting I can use to ensure that font formatting is retained? Or, maybe a macro that I can run after the merge is complete to change everything in () to italics including the ()

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The default merge will only merge the raw data. You can format the field and
add a charformat switch to ensure that the formatting sticks, but if your
italics are only in part of the field this won't help much. In that case,
from the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. (In Word
2007 it is Office Button Word Options Advanced General Confirm file
format conversion on open). Then when you attach the data source to the mail
merge main document, you will be given the option of using the DDE method of
connection which should read the data as you have it formatted in the table.
However DDE connection can be quite flaky.

"Michael Koerner" wrote in message
Using Office 2007, when I do a mail merge using Excel as the data source.
The items I have in italics in Excel are removed once the merge is complete
in Word. Is there as setting I can use to ensure that font formatting is
retained? Or, maybe a macro that I can run after the merge is complete to
change everything in () to italics including the ()

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Graham;

Thanks very much will test it out

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Graham;

Tried your suggestion, didn't work for me. I didn't receive any options to use DDE. Is this because I'm using a Word template that I created back in 2003?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Do you have the box against "Confirm conversions at open" checked in Office
Button Word Options Advanced General? Did you re-attach the data
source to the main document? If you did, did a dialog box open asking you
for the method by which the connection should be made? If it did, did you
click on the "Show all connections" button? That may be required to expose
the DDE connection method.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Doug;

Yes to Confirm conversions at open.

When I click on file open and select the template for the merge I get the screen seen here Initial Screen to which I reply yes. When the document opens, I click on the Mailings tab, finish & Merge, Edit individual documents, select all records, and OK to complete the merge.

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner Michael Koerner is offline

Thanks Doug.

--

[...]

Why does the entire document change font when I change one word? cerise Microsoft Word Help 1 April 2nd 06 12:06 PM
Change font California Ed Microsoft Word Help 1 January 4th 06 07:15 PM
My Font won't change? jmb Page Layout 1 November 20th 05 02:30 AM
How do I change the line numbers font to match text font? Joanne Microsoft Word Help 4 October 24th 05 07:11 PM
font change Crispy Microsoft Word Help 1 August 17th 05 10:31 PM