Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
croy croy is offline

Default Opening WordPerfec (DOS) Documents with Winword Template(?)

I have a bunch of WordPerfect (DOS) documents that I'd like
to update and tweak the formatting on.

Is there a way to open these with my current, customized
WinWord Normal.dot template?

--
Thanks
croy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Which version of Word?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"croy" wrote in message
I have a bunch of WordPerfect (DOS) documents that I'd like
to update and tweak the formatting on.

Is there a way to open these with my current, customized
WinWord Normal.dot template?

--
Thanks
croy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can download the WP filter from my web site. It will work with all
recent versions of Word.

croy wrote:
I have a bunch of WordPerfect (DOS) documents that I'd like
to update and tweak the formatting on.

Is there a way to open these with my current, customized
WinWord Normal.dot template?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
croy croy is offline

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 23:25:44 +0100, "Terry Farrell"
wrote:

Which version of Word?

Oops!

Word 2002, SP3.

--
croy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
croy croy is offline

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:27:31 +0300, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

You can download the WP filter from my web site. It will work with all
recent versions of Word.

Thanks for the reply, Graham.

Word (2002) is opening the files well enough, but apparently
with a "generic" Normal.dot, instead of my customized
Normal.dot that is used if I start a new document (and has
all the styles that I want to use in the WP documents).

--
croy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

There is only one normal.dot active in Word. I think you are saying that you
open a WP doc and it isn't using the parameters you have set up in your
current normal.dot? Unfortunately, Word doesn't work like that. A document
you open will have the attributes of the original template from which it was
created. You have to change the attached template to your current normal.dot
and then run AutoFormat. It is unlikely to adopt the results you want though
unless all the original styles are using the same style names you currently
use. Then you have to remove all the direct formatting changes too.

Terry

wrote:

You can download the WP filter from my web site. It will work with all
recent versions of Word.

Thanks for the reply, Graham.

Word (2002) is opening the files well enough, but apparently
with a "generic" Normal.dot, instead of my customized
Normal.dot that is used if I start a new document (and has
all the styles that I want to use in the WP documents).

--
croy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
croy croy is offline

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:40:04 +0100, "Terry Farrell"
wrote:

There is only one normal.dot active in Word. I think you are saying that you
open a WP doc and it isn't using the parameters you have set up in your
current normal.dot? Unfortunately, Word doesn't work like that. A document
you open will have the attributes of the original template from which it was
created. You have to change the attached template to your current normal.dot
and then run AutoFormat. It is unlikely to adopt the results you want though
unless all the original styles are using the same style names you currently
use. Then you have to remove all the direct formatting changes too.

Terry

Thanks, Terry. Looks like I'll have to find another tool.

--
croy