Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SlickRCBD SlickRCBD is offline

Default Customizing Word97 - Get rid of "Microsoft Word - " on the Taskabar

I'm going to night school to get a better degree and working on a
paper. I've decided to aid my work by using my old computer to
simulate having dual monitors. This leaves me with using good old
Word97 to write the paper.

Is there any way that I can shorten what is written on the taskbar so
I can easily identify which document I have open is which segment and
which is the Works Cited page via filenames? They all show up as
"Microsoft ..." at the moment. I'd like to either change it so the
filename is first, or eliminate the string that says "Microsoft Word"
altogether. If it can't be eliminated, change it to a single space.
I'd rather not take up half my screen with the taskbar as I need the
screen for editing. The icon with the "W" is sufficent for me to
identify that it is Word, I don't need the text "Microsoft Word -
filename", I just need the "W" and the filename.

I'm using Office97 and Windows 98SE. I apologize if this is the wrong
newsgroup, but none of the trees I followed on Google Groups seemed
appropriate.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Unfortunately, that was a common complaint about the earlier version of Word
and OSs. It isn't until you get to later versions of Office and OSs that we
finally rid the idiotic Microsoft blah blah blah... and just get the Word
icon. Then Aero Peek provides a proper popup showing the documents open.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"SlickRCBD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SlickRCBD SlickRCBD is offline

I assume Aero Peek requires Vista? I have Word 2003 installed on my
Vista computer and it displays things fine. The problem is that I'm
using that to display online sources while I type. I figured i could
use my old computer to simulate having dual monitors and use good old
Word 97. The problem is that my second newest WORKING computer is
using Windows 98SE. Somehow I don't think Aero is an option and I see
no benefit to installing 97 in addition to 2003. Nor can I install
2003 on the Win98SE computer.