Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] Jeff@nospam.fake is offline

Default Inserting frame in Word 2007

In word 2002 I learned to insert a frame into which I could place an
image and its caption. This allowed me to position the image exactly
where I wanted it on the page.
How does one insert such a frame in Word 2007?
Thanks.
Jeff
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could insert a text box or a frame in Word 2007, but really there is no
need to do so. Simply change the wrap if the image to something other than
in line with text and you can drag it around the page at will.

wrote in message
In word 2002 I learned to insert a frame into which I could place an image
and its caption. This allowed me to position the image exactly where I
wanted it on the page.
How does one insert such a frame in Word 2007?
Thanks.
Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On 3/14/2010 3:58 AM, Graham Mayor wrote:
You could insert a text box or a frame in Word 2007, but really there is no
need to do so. Simply change the wrap if the image to something other than
in line with text and you can drag it around the page at will.

Thank you for replying. My problem is more complex. For example when I
am positioning 2 images next to each other horizontally, when I create
captions for each it is messy to get the captions correctly placed under
each. By placing both the image and its caption within a frame I can
position them accurately relative to each other without messing up the
other image and its caption.

I prefer to use a frame rather than a text box because I also create an
index list of illustrations for all my illustrations and Word cannot see
the captions in a text box to automatically include them in that "index
of illustrations".

So where do I find the "Insert frame" in Word 2007. I've looked
everywhere for it.

Jeff
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Add the 'Insert Frame' command from the All Commands group to the QAT (Quick
Access Toolbar). However to position two images alongside one another I
would suggest the user of a borderless two cell table with fixed column
width.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On 3/14/2010 6:11 AM, Graham Mayor wrote:
Add the 'Insert Frame' command from the All Commands group to the QAT (Quick
Access Toolbar). However to position two images alongside one another I
would suggest the user of a borderless two cell table with fixed column
width.

Using a table is an excellent idea. I wonder if Word sees the captions
in a table to create a index of illustrations. (This is for a book).

Thanks for the info about the Insert Frame. I had previously searched
for it and not found it, but now I did. I guess I looked in the wrong
places.

BTW, I get a feeling you do not like using frames in a Word document. I
would appreciate knowing why using frames could be a problem.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes, Word can see text in tables for the purposes of TOC, cross-references,
etc. (Word 2007 can also see the text in text boxes, for that matter, but
that ability is not backward-compatible.) Because frames are sort of wrapped
(though not in the drawing layer as text boxes are), they have to be
anchored to a text paragraph, and they can sometimes wander in ways that are
a pain to control. Tables (provided they don't become wrapped) will stay
where you put them because they are in the text layer, part of the text
flow. There are many excellent reasons to use frames, but when tables can be
used instead and serve the purpose just as well, they are preferred.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
On 3/14/2010 6:11 AM, Graham Mayor wrote:
Add the 'Insert Frame' command from the All Commands group to the QAT
(Quick
Access Toolbar). However to position two images alongside one another I
would suggest the user of a borderless two cell table with fixed column
width.

Using a table is an excellent idea. I wonder if Word sees the captions in
a table to create a index of illustrations. (This is for a book).

Thanks for the info about the Insert Frame. I had previously searched for
it and not found it, but now I did. I guess I looked in the wrong places.

BTW, I get a feeling you do not like using frames in a Word document. I
would appreciate knowing why using frames could be a problem.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On 3/14/2010 12:06 PM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Yes, Word can see text in tables for the purposes of TOC,
cross-references, etc. (Word 2007 can also see the text in text boxes,
for that matter, but that ability is not backward-compatible.) Because
frames are sort of wrapped (though not in the drawing layer as text
boxes are), they have to be anchored to a text paragraph, and they can
sometimes wander in ways that are a pain to control. Tables (provided
they don't become wrapped) will stay where you put them because they are
in the text layer, part of the text flow. There are many excellent
reasons to use frames, but when tables can be used instead and serve the
purpose just as well, they are preferred.

Thank you very much Suzanne.

Word can see text in tables for the purposes of TOC,
cross-references, etc.

Is this one backward compatible to Word 2002?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
KenB KenB is offline

I am trying to do documents with different pages and I cannot even get
wordpad to give me a format to create a header and footer, page numbers the
menu bar does not have any information. Please help this is for a college
document.

wrote in message
In word 2002 I learned to insert a frame into which I could place an image
and its caption. This allowed me to position the image exactly where I
wanted it on the page.
How does one insert such a frame in Word 2007?
Thanks.
Jeff

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Wordpad does not have that capability. You need to use Word

See the article "I want to include the chapter number with the page number
in the Header - how can I do this?€ť at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Number...pterNumber.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

wrote in message
In word 2002 I learned to insert a frame into which I could place an
image
and its caption. This allowed me to position the image exactly where I
wanted it on the page.
How does one insert such a frame in Word 2007?
Thanks.
Jeff

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LVTravel[_2_] LVTravel[_2_] is offline

"Kenb" wrote in message
I am trying to do documents with different pages and I cannot even get
wordpad to give me a format to create a header and footer, page numbers
the
menu bar does not have any information. Please help this is for a college
document.

Kenb, please don't hijack a post on a different topic.

To help you, if you do not have Word or Works on your computer and you need
a Office Word processor type of program go to www.openoffice.org and
download and install Open Office. It has a word processing program similar
to Word 2003 in most of it's features and can save files in a format
compatible to Microsoft Word.

If you do decide to use Open Office as your main program suite I recommend
changing the default file save type to Microsoft's files (.doc for Word,
..xls for Calc, .ppt for Impress.)