Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joe Schmeier Joe Schmeier is offline

Default Directory Question, maybe?

I have a need to do the following:

Title Page(s)
Table of Contents (preferably with bookmarks)
Content in "sections"

Content in "sections" refers to data merged from an Excel worksheet, one
"section" per row. Each "section" would be an item in the TOC, preferbly
linked)

I've almost gotten this working with the directory merge, but I don't know
how to NOT repeat the Title Page and TOC or how to construct the TOC. In my
mind, it seems I'd have to merge the data in two times, once for the TOC and
once for the actual content.

I created the document, browsed to the data source, inserted and formatted
mailmerge fields, and completed the merge.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Without know more about your data, it is hard to be precise.

Is there only one title per merge?

How does the data that creates the Table of Contents compare to the data
that creates the Content?

Is it possible to build the Table of Contents from the Content data after
merging it into Word (using the built-in Table of Contents facility)?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Joe Schmeier" wrote in message
I have a need to do the following:

Title Page(s)
Table of Contents (preferably with bookmarks)
Content in "sections"

Content in "sections" refers to data merged from an Excel worksheet, one
"section" per row. Each "section" would be an item in the TOC, preferbly
linked)

I've almost gotten this working with the directory merge, but I don't know
how to NOT repeat the Title Page and TOC or how to construct the TOC. In
my
mind, it seems I'd have to merge the data in two times, once for the TOC
and
once for the actual content.

I created the document, browsed to the data source, inserted and formatted
mailmerge fields, and completed the merge.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joe Schmeier Joe Schmeier is offline

Sorry, Doug. I know this is really two questions:

I don't think I was clear about the first part. I want a cover page that
has on it "My Directory". If I have that set up before executing the merge,
that page gets reproduced for every record. I only want it to appear once,
before all the merged records. (I think this answers your first question, one
title per merge)

Second part is the TOC. I was playing with using merge fields for the
bookmarks throughout the document. (That is my understanding of how a table
of contents works.) I think I can get that part done, so the document
contains bookmark1, bookmark2, etc, corresponding to the database records.
Among other things, each row has what will end up being section names after
the merge.

So:
beginning
Cover Page (static)
Other Preliminary Pages (static)
TOC (dynamic)
merged data (dynamic)
end

I know I could add the Cover page (really a few pages) and TOC after, but if
I can get the merge to do it I think it will be fewer steps to recreate these
docs when the underlying data changes.

I'm not trying to be vague, hope I've given you enough.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I believe that your only option is to execute the directory merge and then
add the other stuff afterwards.

I think that your concept of how a table of contents works is not correct.
A bookmark can be used to define the area of a document from which the table
of contents is to be built, but a table of contents is not build from
multiple bookmarks.

Can you give an example of the data in the data source and what the
corresponding table of contents entries would be like.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joe Schmeier Joe Schmeier is offline

Thanks for your input. I think you are right and I'm gonna do the merge
first, then the TOC, then the rest. Peace out!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Follow up question about application of original question. Liontamer Microsoft Word Help 6 October 29th 08 02:56 PM
Stefan Blom: another question from original question string 7/19/0 Liontamer Microsoft Word Help 3 July 29th 08 01:36 PM
a directory? hirendra7158 Mailmerge 9 June 26th 07 03:35 PM
directory haliburton girl Mailmerge 5 December 16th 06 07:42 AM
Question about Mailmerge Directory Blasting Cap Mailmerge 3 September 7th 05 04:57 AM